Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting from Formit on iPad

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1731 Views, 10 Replies

Exporting from Formit on iPad

Apologies if this has been discussed already.  I did a search and didn't find anything.

It's been a while since I last used Formit for the iPad, but I'd like to start again.  But it appears that other than saving a project to BIM 360 (can't afford that!), the only other option is as a .axm file.  

1. Is this true?  Is .axm the only option? and

2. Are there any programs/apps for converting .axm files to other CAD formats, such as .dxf, .dwg, .skp (SketchUp)?

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
josh.goldstein
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Currently this is true. However, we're going to be opening this way up in the next major version (v18). You'll be able to import and export more model formats and from more locations - we'll be using the iOS Files app to allow you to pick directories inside and outside the FormIt documents folder, including 3rd party storage locations like iCloud, Dropbox, etc. Look for this functionality later this year!

2. You can use the free FormIt Web app to export to a limited set of file formats (AXM, OBJ, STL, SAT). For other file formats, you'll need to use FormIt for Windows. In addition to the ones above, FormIt for Windows supports FBX, DAE, and DXF. We're also working on increasing the number of supported formats in Windows for the next release and beyond, potentially including SketchUp. 

Hope this helps. We think you'll be happy with the additional options when v18 launches later this year.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: josh.goldstein

Thank you very much for reply and this information.  That's great news about the upcoming new version!

1. I'll look forward to the new version and I'm very glad that it will allow importing and exporting in more file types.  

2. Thanks for this, but I really need to be able to use Formit on an iPad as I measure and draw existing buildings.  If I could import the .axm file into Formit Web on my laptop, it would be very useful, but I guess that isn't possible?

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 11
josh.goldstein

@Anonymous actually, all FormIt apps can import and export the native FormIt file type, .AXM. So you'll be able to accomplish the workflow you describe. I'll edit my previous comment to include .AXM in the list -  I was only including non-native types, sorry for the confusion!

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for the clarification.  I just tried opening a project I had created in Formit on my iPad into Formit Web (Windows) on my Mac, exported it as an .stl file, and opened it in Sketchup on my Mac. It all worked without a hitch. 

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 11
josh.goldstein

Hi again @Anonymous 

You can now import and export files to local folders on your iPad, thanks to FormIt v18 which has just been released. Read about it here, or get the update now.

Thanks,

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

This is good news. Thank you for letting me know.
Is there any plan to allow importing or exporting files in any of the common file formats?

Message 8 of 11
recinedesign

Would love to export sections to AutoCAD mobile, I could go full on mobile with that, as I gave a Mac I can’t even use FormIt on the go as the web is not an option.... any chance or workflow to achieve this?

Message 9 of 11

Hi @recinedesign,

Thanks for writing in.

Some clarifying questions:

• When you say "export sections" you mean export a FormIt model with section planes to AutoCAD mobile?
    • What format would you export to import this data into AutoCAD mobile, DWG?
  • Can you elaborate why FormIt Web not an option for you?

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 10 of 11

i mean yeah a section from the model to add the details of the section or even just the floor plan … dwg or dxf would be great, and no can’t use the web version as on iPad it won’t run, even on desktop mode for some reason, and if i have to bring my laptop anyway i could just skip the iPad entirely… would love to go on with it tho as it has been great with formit, better than the web for me…

PS. i know this is a metter of another forum but can someone please mention to the autocad mobile team that we need plotting back on iOS?
Message 11 of 11
recinedesign
in reply to: recinedesign

Any news on a full workflow Formit autocad all on iPad exclusively? Any way to make the 2 talk ? (Even with 3rd party)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report