Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhino import to single generic

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tlagardeAJBTA
592 Views, 11 Replies

Rhino import to single generic

Hello all, at the moment, our multiple layers/sub layer imports all get crammed into one single layer in Forma, called generic.
Not super practical, any thoughts ?

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
smilksh
in reply to: tlagardeAJBTA

Thanks for the message.

We do not fully support all the layers and sub-layers offered in Rhino, but we do support the top 2 layers.

What you may be missing is that next to the layer the "Generic" is a drop down where you can pick another Forma-layer for the contents of the Rhino-layer to be sent to.

smilksh_2-1718898413940.png

We hope this helps, but if not please give us some additional information to your problem and we can investigate.

Thanks,

-Heather from Forma

Message 3 of 12
tlagardeAJBTA
in reply to: smilksh

Oh I see, well not super practical, it would be easier to allow the layers in Rhino to be fully imported with their custom names

Message 4 of 12

Hi, I would like to expand a bit on to Heather's answer.

As you know, Rhino has no limit on layer nesting. That means that you can end up with quite a complex system of layers and geometry. We looked through some typical files and thought about how to best integrate this. What made the most sense was to generalize the layer system a bit. The main reasons for this was that as of right now Forma exposes only a handful of categories and the Rhino plugin's UI was getting quite busy. Instead of listing every single layer in a cramped long list, we only summarize the top two levels. That way you end up with something that's a bit easier to manage and still provides flexibility with the assignment.

Now this doesn't mean that the plugin ignores the rest of the geometry - if you look at the "select all" checkbox  in the image below, you'll notice that even tho we have selected only a few layers, it summarizes that all 40-ish sub-layers will also be included. The geometry on those layers will inherit the parent layer's category and function (function assignment is only available for the building category).

8jpgNXTdb8.png

 Hope that clears things up.

Message 5 of 12

I disagree with the process, you should trust your users to make the right choice when it comes to layers.
What will end up happening with that is that people will create custom Rhino files just to export to Forma, therefore breaking the collaboration mindset.
Would you reconsider your philosophy for layers if enough users request it ? I know it was demanded by other people in my firm.

Message 6 of 12
smilksh

Hi again @tlagardeAJBTA.

Thank you for the feedback.

We would love to understand better how you would prefer to see this work.

What is your use case, and what behaviors would you expect to satisfy your workflow?

Message 7 of 12

@tlagardeAJBTA we would love to understand how we can better support you. Let us know what behaviors would you expect to satisfy your workflow?

Message 8 of 12
tlagardeAJBTA

Well, we would like to be able to import the layers as is.
Each layer should be imported with its name, objects and maybe more properties if possible (color, material, other..)

tlagardeAJBTA_0-1720546841508.png

Message 9 of 12
tlagardeAJBTA

Well, we would like to be able to import the layers as is.
Each layer should be imported with its name, objects and maybe more properties if possible (color, material, other..)

tlagardeAJBTA_0-1720547096036.png

Message 10 of 12
smilksh

@tlagardeAJBTA

Thank you for taking the time to share your additional thoughts with us.

-Heather from Forma

Message 11 of 12
tlagardeAJBTA

Sure, I believe in this project, keep up the good work !

Message 12 of 12

This issue, request hasn't been updated yet, I disagree with the "Solved" classification

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report