Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I daw a pitched / sloped roof in Spacemaker?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
PetroGiancotti
774 Views, 4 Replies

How can I daw a pitched / sloped roof in Spacemaker?

Hi. Congratulations on the next-gen. I love it, but I am struggling to module a pitched roof on a line building. 

Line building
Skjermbilde 2023-03-10 kl. 16.34.47.png

Modeling with generic volume on top. I don't manage to add a node.
Skjermbilde 2023-03-10 kl. 16.34.11.png

Also tried with 3D sketch, but couldnt draw a triangle vertically to extrude. 

Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Tags (3)
Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @PetroGiancotti,

Happy to help! 3D Sketch is the way to go. 🙌

We've got a guide on this in our help center, which covers a few different approaches and scenarios, including:

• This case (a building with a rectangular floor plan, for example created with the Line building tool in Design mode) via moving an edge up in 3D Sketch:
    joshgoldstein_28-1678500160723.gif

• Other cases (buildings with irregular plans) via a powerful 3D Sketch tool called Tilt Face: 
    joshgoldstein_29-1678500399367.gif

I'm assuming you want a more modern, asymmetrical pitched roof, and that's what the guide linked above covers. But I'm happy to follow up with how to create a more traditional symmetrical pitched roof as well, or you can see that covered in the latter steps here.

Enjoy!

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 3 of 5

Hi @PetroGiancotti,

In case you want to module an A-frame/ gable / double / 2 waters roof you can follow the steps below:

1. Create 3D sketch 
    Skjermbilde 2023-03-14 kl. 18.10.54.png
  2. Draw a polygon on top of the area you want to design the roof
    Skjermbilde 2023-03-14 kl. 18.12.19.png
  3. Select the surface and extrude it if you want the lowest attic floor to have some "vertical facade" before it tilts.
    Skjermbilde 2023-03-14 kl. 18.13.28.png
  4. Draw the roof ridge with the line tool and move the line up 😀

Watch the whole workflow in the video 

Message 4 of 5

Hello! I had a question related to this topic. Converting a building into a 3D sketch will give us the tools to create an "irregular" geometry. However, it looks like once the building is converted then the area metrics will not pick up the geometry. Is there a way around that? In other words, I'd like to take advantage of the design tool but also be able to do area take offs

Message 5 of 5

Hi @saeeddornajafi,

3D Sketch buildings should definitely contribute to area metrics.

I'll direct message you - we'd like to access a copy of your proposal to investigate more closely, if you'll allow us.

Thanks for letting us know! Stay tuned for a message from me, and we can update this thread once we get a better idea of what's going on.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report