Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export OBJ_United Kingdom_Coordinate System

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
F.Garcia6Y866
218 Views, 5 Replies

Export OBJ_United Kingdom_Coordinate System

I have been exporting to OBJ a few proposals and found out that the Coordinate System that forma use is EPSG:32631 WGS 84 / UTM zone 31N however the most common Coordinate System is PSG:27700 OSGB36 / British National Grid.

It would be appropiate to make a change on this.

Thanks

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I have been trying also to find a relationship in between Revit Internal Origin mapped coordinates when Forma send to Revit and OBJ coordinates so I can link by shared coordinates the OBJ via DWG however it is impossible to be precised and I have an error roughly 0f 3m.
I have also noted that the OBJ origin does not match Revit Project Origin, which makes no sense.
Below you can viz, what I mean linking Origin to Origin:

FGarcia6Y866_0-1723037949939.png

Has anyone managed to do any of this properly?????????

Message 3 of 6

Hey @F.Garcia6Y866 ,

Thanks for reaching out. I see the need for exporting to a particular coordinate system. Currentl, we don't have any functionality to make this happen in Forma but you can tools like Revit to import and re-project as needed. 

On your second question -

Here's the gist -

Forma geolocation will overwrite any location data in the Revit file. The Add-in will create a new Project Base Point in the Revit project matching the georeferenced system of the Forma project, using the UTM coordinate system.For placement of Forma data in Revit, we use a couple of fallback approaches. For elevation, we use the lowest of the floors for buildings with floors.  If there are no floors, then we use the bottom of the bounding box of the buildings.  If there are no buildings, we use the bottom of the terrain. Horizontally, we use the same logic to find the center of the Forma proposal to align with the center of the Revit project.Using Existing Georeferenced Revit DataIf there is an existing Revit project that you don't want to overwrite with location data, but want to analyze the model in Forma, we recommend the following workflow. Create a new Revit project, Load the Forma Proposal into it, then Link and Bind the Revit file into it. You can now use the Update Proposal functionality to send specific Revit data to Forma, make changes to the Revit data, and iterate.Existing Revit files often have far more data than is useful for Forma analysis, so we recommend using view filters to curate the data that is pertinent for Forma. Interior details, stairways, railings, and furniture will add unnecessary information to analysis, create heavy mesh geometry in Forma, and slow data synchronization.

this article goes deeper into the issues with Revit.  here  

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best,

Samarvir singh

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Sorry I dont think you understand the point.

I want to know why the Revit Intenal Coordinates when the proposal is sent from Forma to Revit does not match the origin when you export the proposal as OBJ.

Message 5 of 6

Hey,

Currently Revit and Forma work in tow different internal coordinate systems and hence the export origins might not match 

We are working on improving this workflow.

Best,

Message 6 of 6

Hey dude, I noted that but it makes no sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report