Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D to Forma and Coordinate Systems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
m_kingdon
371 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3D to Forma and Coordinate Systems

Hi all,

I might be joining this party a bit early for my type.  But what workflows are available for exporting Civil 3D data into Forma?  The only workflow I can find so far is to extract solids from my surface and export them as OBJ files.

There is also a limited number of coordinate systems available for importing data, i.e no New Zealand systems.  I assume this will be expanded soon?

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hey! 

It is always great to heavy early guests 🙂 
As for now the only workflow with Civil would be the one you outline - Export to .obj and import. 
Curious to hear how would your ideal world workflow look like!

Also - let us know which coordinate systems are you missing, perhaps we could accelerate them.

Message 3 of 5

hi @m_kingdon,

It would be great to hear from you! Our team is working on improving our solution and the contribution of our community is very much appreciated. 

Best regards,
Daniel 

Message 4 of 5
m_kingdon
in reply to: m_kingdon

Not sure if your team has access to other AutoDesk software.  Map 3D / Civil 3D has an extensive list of coordinate systems.  It is a requirement that we are able to work and produce drawings and models based on our local system.  Forma should then be able to import our model (surfaces, road alignments, corridors, pipes) and be able to recognize what system was used.  Ideally, the Forma model should already have the correct coordinate system set up so no translation is needed.  Exporting parts of our drawings into different file types is not an ideal workflow.  A direct link to Forma would be preferred.  i.e a command / ribbon in Civil 3D with options to "upload to Forma" that would allow us to either upload our surface to the Forma model, or sync/update a current surface that has been amended.  Eventually, our Civil 3D model would be part of the Forma model directly, they that stuff is beyond my knowledge.

If I was being entirely selfish, I would ask you to added Mount Eden Circuit, as that is the coordinate system for Auckland, New Zealand.  That would keep most people in New Zealand happy for at least some time 😂.

mkingdon_0-1687299693569.png

mkingdon_1-1687300055299.png

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
G_Tears
in reply to: m_kingdon

Spacemaker had the ability to select a specific Coordinate System. Also import of .shp files. Hopefully, future updates will bring this back.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators