Community
Forma Developer Forum
Welcome to Autodesk Forma Developer Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Forma API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forma importing toposolid seemingly based on project north and not true north

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
bericksonTMRWB
86 Views, 1 Reply

Forma importing toposolid seemingly based on project north and not true north

I've recently started up a project using a CAD survey that just has the specific site topography, and set up project north based on that. Now when I try to import the forma proposal to see more of the context, the toposolid is not aligned with true north... Just started working with forma so I was curious if there is a way around this, or if I should import a forma proposal before setting up a project north.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
greg_marr
in reply to: bericksonTMRWB

The add-in doesn't really do anything with project north at this point, and because of the way Revit transforms the geometry when you change project north, there are actually problems with both methods. 

The add-in doesn't check for project north being different than true north on Load, so if project north is already set to be different than true north when you Load, the geometry will be aligned such that the Forma north is aligned with the project north. 

If you Load the Forma data and then change project north, then the data from Forma is transformed, which can cause the satellite image on the terrain to no longer be properly aligned.  Also, the add-in will think that you changed all of the geometry, and if you then use Update to send the data back to Forma, it will convert everything to meshes that are rotated compared to true north. 

If you just want to bring in the Forma data for context, and aren't planning to send updates back to Forma, then you could Load the Forma data, Unlink the proposal, and then rotate project north.  If you chose to bring in the satellite image, you'll need to edit the material to change the rotation to make it align properly again.  We don't have a specific procedure for how to do that, unfortunately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators