cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections with only two constraints

Connections with only two constraints

We got a request from a customer that it would be a great improvement if a connector could be defined with only two constraints.
This could be used to rotate an asset around one axis, while the two other axis are fixed.
In this specific case, rotatable fittings should be used.

13 Comments
liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @consultingSUKTR ,

Very interesting idea. We also have such idea in our backlog. We were thinking 2 ways of the application.

One way is the safety fencing, the joint would work like 1 freedom in Z axis rotation.

Another one is like piping, the connection will have 1 freedom in X axis rotation.

We would love to hear where these new connectos would you like to put into application? Share with us some user cases or stories, will you?

Thank you, 

Mickey

RLenhart
Explorer
Greate Idea !
lorena.angele
Community Visitor

Hi @consultingSUKTR ,

this is a really good idea and would be very helpful !

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a great idea!

nikolas.vogl
Community Visitor

Perfect! Exactly what I have needed for a long time

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @RLenhart , @lorena.angele , @Anonymous , @nikolas.vogl , and all other voters,

Thank you so much for the votes. 25 votes in 5 days?! That's a record in FDU Idea Station, as far as I know. But I would like to ask the same question here:

We were thinking 2 ways of the application.

One way is the safety fencing, the joint would work like 1 freedom in Z axis rotation.

Another one is like piping, the connection will have 1 freedom in X axis rotation.

We would love to hear where these new connectos would you like to put into application? Share with us some user cases or stories, will you?

Mickey on behalf of FDU enginieering team

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a really good idea and would be very helpful !

dominik.raible
Community Visitor

Hello,

this looks like a pretty interesting idea to me. I think i could have used this function myself at one point or another. Hopefully this will be followed up.

AnJanson
Advocate

Hi @liqinomickey,

When I wrote this idea, I was logged in with the wrong account, so I did not receive an email, sorry.

In this specific case, it is about the planning of pipes with fittings.

The rotation around the connection direction (X-axis) should be flexible.

But maybe you could realize a solution where the user could define any axis for rotation.

Regards Andreas

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @AnJanson ,

What a star idea!

Piping, got it. May I ask, currently, are you using Inventor Professional? How about the Inventor function Tube and Pipe workflows?

Are you also using Asset Chain function? How would you imagine the asset chaining sketch drawing after we implement this 2-constrain connection?

Mickey

AnJanson
Advocate

Hi @liqinomickey ,

yes, we are using Inventor Professional. Tube and Pipe is limited in angles and the orientation of segments.

Furthermore tube and pipe is another technology and does not fit in the asset environment.

Regrading the asset chain function, yes, we use it in other customer projects, but mainly for conveyors.

I do not think that the asset chaining would be a good base for a 2-constrain connection as the orientation, especially for pipes, is also vertical.

Andreas

johan.degreef
Advisor

A replacement for Tube and Piping!

FDU would be great if it could handli Pipes, fittings, falnges, valves in a more efficient way.

Please, go for it 🙂

qamar.naseem6EVRX
Enthusiast

This screencast is what my I am aiming for.

https://autode.sk/2S9eMcG.

Eg if I insert this Pin (that could be attached to a door) It inserts correctly due to the way I have defined the RED arrow direction, it inserts in line (0 deg) with the post which is correct, but then once connected, I want to be able to rotate it at angle eg (90deg ,-90 deg), to maybe show an open position. At present if the connector connects it in line and then the reposition tool is used to rotate, it rotates both the post and hinge.

Could we have the flexibility to rotate the asset once connected. ( i would presume Z would be pointing upwards) so that the rotation could be performed

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report