cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Library Optimizations for Legacy Assets

Asset Library Optimizations for Legacy Assets

Currently when an asset is used in a layout, the asset must remain in the library forever otherwise I can never change the asset in the layout again.

It would make a lot more sense if this would not be required. Why is the link to the asset in the library required?

Our asset library contains around 1000 assets. An asset represents (most of the time) a machine. In the future we might decide to no longer sell that machine. When that happens I want that machine out of the library, so that our engineers can no longer select them. But if I remove them I can no longer manage that machine in other existing layouts.

Moving it to a separate folder also won't solve it, because when using the search function the asset can still be found.

Another issue is when a new development took place and changes the machine. I then have to revise the asset. This can also lead to problems. To solve this each revision needs a unique name and needs to stay available in the asset library. Within a couple of years I might have 2 or 3x the number of assets in my library. Within 5 years from now we have a serious issue with the library.

Engineers can accidentally place an asset that is no longer free for sales in the layout or place the incorrect revision of that asset.

I see 2 solutions:
1. reprogram the asset library so that it is no longer required to keep all assets in the library and that you can still change an asset in the layout.
2. make some sort of hidden folder in the asset library where we can store our out-of-date assets and users can't browse or search that folder, but FDU can so that you can still update assets in a layout

I prefer solution 1, but can live with 2.

5 Comments
DanielLutz
Autodesk

As soon as there is a newer asset in the asset library, the user can use the "update assets" function to actively check whether there is a newer version for the open layout.
It would be helpful if FDU informs independently that there are newer assets. Only informed, no automatic update!

christian.hombach
Contributor

That would be great!

Trigger for verification of local version could be:

• Change of folder in asset browser (only for this browser) 
  • Placing / Use of  an asset (only for this asset) to not use an old local version what is currently possible. This trigger is IMHO mandatory! 
michel.cuijpers
Community Visitor

I prefere solution 1

jingyi.liu
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Thank everyone for your feedback, this request has been tracked as an internal user story [INVGEN-62506].

ChrisMitchell01
Community Manager

A solution for this idea is currently being Beta tested. If you would like to try this, (& you're not already a Beta tester), you can apply for FDU Beta access using https://feedback.autodesk.com/key/FDUFeedback

Thanks,

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report