Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between a dimensional constraint and a constraint parameter?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
QJaworski
187 Views, 2 Replies

What is the difference between a dimensional constraint and a constraint parameter?

In the block editor, I see how to use dimensional constraints easily enough, but I do not understand what constraint parameters are. In particular, if I have a list of dimensional constraints in the parameters manager, what benefit do I have by converting any to a constraint parameter?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: QJaworski

With Dimensional constraints (created with the Dc... commands) you can drive the dimensions of any geometric objects . Changing the value of a Dimensional Constraint changes the dimension of the associated geometric element (e.g. its length, or diameter/radius, or angle, ...) or the relative position of the geometric elements to each other, usual in combination with geometric constraints.
These can be used in the standard environment of AutoCAD as well as inside the block editor. That means, you can use dimensional constraints to drive the geometry inside of the block editor.  They are used to fix geometry while building the block definition. In the inserted block references you will not see this constraints and can not change their values,
At the other hand: In the block editor (and only here) you can add constraint parameters (bcparameter command). They work similar to the dimensional constraints, but they are also visible in the block references (either their grips and/or listed in the properties window) and are used to change the associated geometry at the inserted block references (similar as the dynamic parameters and actions do. But you should avoid to mix both methods to drive the geometry of block references). 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
QJaworski
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thank you! This clears it up for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost