Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(video inside) Extending a linear parameter after a flip action results in reducing other elements depending on the linear parameter

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aitorm
265 Views, 4 Replies

(video inside) Extending a linear parameter after a flip action results in reducing other elements depending on the linear parameter

I am creating a wardrove element. It has 2 visibility states, one of them lets you flip a linear parameter and change its length and the other just let you change its length. When stretching out the linear parameter, if flipped, it reduces it in the other visibility state. I need it to grow similarly to when it is flipped, as it does when scaling. Please check the video and the file attached for further understanding.

I tried several ways to try to fix it, for example to chain link the linear parameter to the flip, but somehow it extends it when flipping. I also tried to use constrains but I think it is too much complicated and must be done easier.

Could you help me? thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: aitorm

Just flip the outline of the small visibility.  See screencast.  

Message 3 of 5
aitorm
in reply to: Libbya

Well, it does work for me because the block is symmetric. So simple, thank you so much!

However, I am intrigued to know if this could be done without flipping the whole outline, i.e., reversing the direction of the linear parameter stretching when flipping it.

Message 4 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: aitorm

Yes, but it is more complicated to show or explain.  See screencast.  Remove the small outline from the existing stretch action.  Add a chained point parameter.  Move that chained point parameter at a 90° angle.  Add four stretch actions to that chained point parameter two of them stretch one side of the outline, the other two stretch the other side of the outline.  Set the distance modifier of each of those new stretch actions to 0.5.  Set the angle offset of the two stretch actions on the side that you want to stretch in the as-drawn position so that they are the same and at the angle that results in a 1.0 distance stretch when added together (270°).  Set the angle offset of the two stretch actions on the side you do not want flipped so that they oppose each other and result in a 0.0 stretch when added together.  Add the correct one of the two stretch actions from each side to the flip action's selection set so that when the flip is activated, the side that previously stretched at a distance of 1.0 now adds up to 0.0 and the side that previously added up to 0.0 now stretches at a distance of 1.0.  

Message 5 of 5
aitorm
in reply to: Libbya

Thank you so much, as soon as I come back to my computer, I will try itand come back here with my experience. Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta