ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Trim geometry that falls outside a box as it stretches

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
nshupeFMPE3
902 Views, 20 Replies

Trim geometry that falls outside a box as it stretches

I have a box that will can not grow, only shrink. As it shrinks there is geometry inside that I would like trimmed or removed if it follows outside the perimeter of the main box of the block 

nshupeFMPE3_0-1651094797072.png
In this picture I pulled the left grip which shrink the box, and left a vertical line and part of an arc outside it. Is there a way for the arc to be trimmed, and the line to be deleted if it falls outside the main "box" but not before it falls outside?

Thanks again for any help!

Labels (4)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: nshupeFMPE3

Show us a sketch how it shall look after shrinking please. 

And what do you expect after dragging the right grip? 

My first shoot into the dark: >>cllick<<

JĆ¼rgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
hwalker

Yes but then the problem will become are you drawing anything to the left of the rectangle?

The answer is to put a very thin vertical wipeout to the left of the rectangle. Make sure the right edge of the wipeout is on the left edge of the rectangle, and add the wipeout to the stretch.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 21
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker wrote:

Yes but then the problem will become are you drawing anything to the left of the rectangle?

>>Click<<< 

No problems with my suggestion:  neither with existing objects before inserting nor with objects drawn after inserting the block. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
hwalker

I'm assuming that's done with parametric constraints.

As I only have LT in the office I cannot use those, and the OP might only have LT as well

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

thank you @j.palmeL29YX ! that last screen cast looked perfect! how did you do it?

Message 7 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

@nshupeFMPE3 wrote:

how did you do it?

As @hwalker assumed, it's done using parametric constraints. 

For a better analysis of the block definition you should set BACTIONBARMODE to 0 (if it is not yet done). 

Furthermore I set for better recognizability the number of grips of the lookup parameter and of the visibility parameter to 1.  And at least I changed the precision of drawing units to 1/256 (otherwise you would not see that the value of d2 is greater than 0). 

Try to analyze what I did. If you have questions ... ask. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
nshupeFMPE3
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

What purpose does the (d2=1/256") dimensional constraint on the arc serve @j.palmeL29YX ?

Message 9 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

@nshupeFMPE3 wrote:

What purpose does the (d2=1/256") dimensional constraint on the arc serve?

Assuming you have a parametric constrained arc as shown in >>this video<< and want to drag the left endpoint horizontally (orthogonal). 

- If the initial angle of the arc is smaller than 180Ā° then the angle will ever stay smaller than 180Ā°.

- If the initial angle of the arc is greater than 180Ā° then the angle will ever stay greater than 180Ā°. 

- If the initial angle of the arc is exactly equal 180Ā°, AutoCAD can not drag this endpoint horizontally (it doesn't know to which direction [up or down] this point should be moved. )

(And if AutoCAD will move this point  in case of some internal calculation inaccuracies it will always move to the wrong direction [Murphy's law šŸ˜‰ ]). 

Therefore I decided to draw an initial position where the left point is a small amount above the center point (i.e. on the correct side).

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 10 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

Sorry that it has been so long @j.palmeL29YX, but I'm wondering could this be done in series with multiple arcs? Like as the line passes through the first arc it keeps shrinking, then as it hits the next it trims that one?

Message 11 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

Show an example please what you expect to get. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 12 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

I could not figure out how to make it a block so I had to make it step by step Screenshot 2022-05-23 070032.png

Message 13 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

@nshupeFMPE3 wrote:

... could this be done in series with multiple arcs? 

In >>this case<< you should consider to follow @hwalker 's  suggestion - use a Wipeout. 

To see what I did in the block editor, turn ON the visibility of the Wipeout's Frame. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

I wish that would work, unfortunately the way we use the blocks wouldn't do well with the wipeout since you can snap to it, which is an undesirable behavior. Also we use many of these blocks and wipeouts in our experience slow down our drafting when there are many.

Message 15 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

@nshupeFMPE3 wrote:

...  the way we use the blocks wouldn't do well with ...

Before we continue this discussion you should describe in detail and completely what the block should be able to do, how the block should be used, what other restrictions might affect the use of the block. The isolated and out of context solution of single small subproblems is not target-oriented and will not lead to success. And of course I cannot foresee whether what you want will be feasible at all. Therefore you should also tell which functionalities have to be realized urgently and which additional functions are desirable but not necessarily implemented. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

I've attached the block we currently work with. It has all the functionality we critically need. I'm trying to improve the experience by removing the need to use the visibility state to remove the interior lines. Sorry for the lack of information and confusion. 

Message 17 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

Even if some points are not yet clear for me, for example 

- what shall happen with the horizontal arrow(s) while decreasing the width of the rectangle?

- do you want to decrease the width of the rectangle in incremental steps (as your visibility states) or do you want to change the width in a continuous manner as shown in my example above?

- why did you define visibility states until to the half width of the arcs only is hidden, but the width of the rectangle can decreased until zero?

- what shall happen with the circle and the "hatch" while decreasing the width of the rectangle? (perhaps move horizontally the half way?)

- why is inside of the circle a bunch of lines instead of a hatch (similar ANIS31)? 

but regardless of all these ambiguities I can not yet see a reason why not use a wipeout to hide the unwanted part of the arcs. Can you tell or show us an example? At the end: If a wipeout is not akzeptable for you - an other solution I don't know, I can not offer an other suggestion. 

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Message 18 of 21
hwalker

WIPEOUTFRAME (System Variable) | AutoCAD 2016 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Use variable 0

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 19 of 21
nshupeFMPE3

I tested out using a wipe out and unfortunately it just does not match what we need. We noticed a slow down when there were many many blocks with wipe outs, and there was a noticeable increase in errors from snapping to the wipeout as apposed to the actual perimeter of the block.
To answer the questions, the arrow should be removed on the side that is being reduced from.
We would like to decrease the width in a continuous manner, as that is what we are able to do now, but only to the half width point. As you can see we remove the interior lines in increments given its using visibility states.
The block can only decrease to half the width, just like the increments stop there. If we need a smaller block we have to reference edit (REFEDIT)
The "hatch" stays in place and can be ignored really for our purposes.
Im not sure what it is not a hatch

It sounds like there might not be a solution to match our needs that we are not already employing. Thank you for your help anyway. I might need to use our C# plugins and try to have some events to meet our desired behavior.
Message 20 of 21
j.palmeL29YX

Did you consider the possibility, to insert the block as XREFs and hide the unwanted range/s using the xclip command? 

BTW: Im not sure what it is not a hatch 

>>Click<<

JĆ¼rgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta