SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
TomHia
391 Views, 10 Replies

Stretched array malfunctions on occasion

Hi,

AutoCAD 2021.

Block description:

It's a hatched line of certain thickness, which is supposed to adjust the pattern based on total length. A double pattern - "black"/"layer colour" as seen below.

I've got 2 issues:

a) How can I adjust the parameters so that the pattern does not appear outside its bounds? The pattern adds an extra item before it really should or after. (Please note that I removed the hatch boundaries from the array selection set in the attached blocks, otherwise it adds an out of bound small segment at the front instead of the back of the block and I changed the "distance" increment value from 60 to 1).

Without hatch boundaries issue:

d.PNG

With hatch boundaries issue:

b.PNG

b) I haven't narrowed it down but quite often the block goes rogue and bugs out in this fashion:

c.PNG

An extra piece of array appears, Audit shows issues and I need to explode the array in the block definition and recreate it in order to fix it.

It just happens...after some edits or just closing and opening the .dwg. What could be the cause and fix for this?

Both working and broken examples attached.

Edit.

I crossed something I figured was wrong out.

I also changed the construction line length to 59.9 and array step from 60.1 to 60.

Here is an almost working example - Increment 1mm, the issue - an extra item appears ahead of the boundaries. The construction line was misaligned as well.

Named "AlmostWorking".

~Tom

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: TomHia

Try the attached attempt. 

[EDIT]: If you whish you can change the increment of Distance1 from 60 to 30. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Still an additional attempt without incremental restrictions for Distance1 (Dist Type = None). 

Test it please. 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
TomHia

Hi,

Thank you for the workaround, however I've tried it already before (wipeout).

For some reason I forgot about _wipeoutframe and was looking for a "better" solution to get rid of the frame or to exclude one array instance from the outcome set (as you can in 3d CAD patterns). Nonetheless, I think there's no other option because it's dimension bound - if the dimensions were chosen perfectly the result wouldn't have to be concealed.

I've settled down for the almost perfect result for my case attached below, I only need to take care of start-stop positions or I'll end up with wipeout on top 🙂

Capture.PNG

Thanks a lot!

Any idea about the second issue? I'll get back when I reproduce it, however you can see the "audit" result if you insert it into a blank dwg. Here's a snippet:

broken.PNG

Message 5 of 11
TomHia

Happened again...with the block I provided in the last post...I only opened a couple of DWGs (same file, copied into different folders) with this block (and yours) placed. And everything worked fine 3 times, broke on 4th opening. What the...?

omg.PNG

Edit:

I've run a bunch of test and it definitely has something to do with the file I authored the block in. Did you create your block from scratch in a different file or altered mine @j.palmeL29YX ? 

My block works fine and I can not recreate the issue in a clean dwg file.

Your block doesn't bug out in either my original file or a clean file.

Funnily enough I'm having hard time recreating this bug in an older version of my file, where the block was not even started to be authored...but there was a block with the same name. But i recreated it after I recreated it in current version of the file.

Edit2:

Ok, I recreated the block in a clean dwg and I can't break it in any way...Always author dynamic blocks in a fresh document...noted! Although I'd really want to know if there's a way to find out what's wrong and how to repair it. 

Really final version, created in a clean dwg attached🙄

Message 6 of 11
j.palmeL29YX

@TomHia wrote:

Did you create your block from scratch in a different file or altered mine 

I modified/changed your block file. Unfortunately I forgot to rename the new (my) version. So you may have 2 different blocks with the same name now. Sorry for the confusion, But I think (it is hard for me to follow all your "edit's" 😉 ) now you got a working result. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
j.palmeL29YX

Additional suggestion for a small improvement: 

You can reduce the width of the wipeout to the width of the arrayed items (currently 38) if you place the startpoint of the path as shown in the image. 

possible improvment.png

This way the wipeout hides less than currently.  

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
TomHia

Thanks for everything and sorry for the amount of edits. I've spent quite some time today troubleshooting and I still don't know why this issue persists in the file. I was in the fervor of the battle 😄

I'm shocked you just modified my file and it got rid of the bug somehow. I only noticed the desktop thumbnail of your block file is different than mine, so I was going to ask about the way you saved the block (I do _wb -> choose block) or the version in which you've exported it...perhaps it was cleansed in the process. Nevertheless, I had to redo mine as described above.

I also did quite the opposite and set the wipeout width to 100 (the width of all the lines) so that it's apparent when they cross and I need to switch the direction or change the draw order.

Message 9 of 11
j.palmeL29YX

@TomHia wrote:

the version in which you've exported it...

I opened (and saved) your file in ACAD 2025, I can't test with ACAD 2021. Perhaps this makes the difference(?). 

I tested to insert your block Linia przerywanaFINAL.dwg in a new blank file - the result of an audit attached. 

Because I can not reproduce the problems you mentioned to I can not further help in that issue. 

audit_Linia przerywanaFINAL.png

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
TomHia

Sure, I know.

When I insert your block (or any of mine) in AC 2021 or AC 2024 i get the same Audit results with an error

b.PNG

So it seems AC doesn't like one of the type of actions or something...a comment from Autodesk representative would be nice.

Message 11 of 11
j.palmeL29YX

@TomHia wrote:

... a comment from Autodesk representative would be nice.

They don'r read here. You should explicitely contact the Autodesk Support. 

@TomHia wrote:

When I insert your block (or any of mine) in AC 2021 or AC 2024 i get the same Audit results with an error 

That's no wonder (if the current file causes the problem), because I used and only modified your file. If I were you, I'd create the block completely new from scratch in a new file. (That should be done in less than an hour 😉  ). 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta