Did you mean: 

Seeking attribute text or block solution

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dthrash
254 Views, 6 Replies

Seeking attribute text or block solution

I've attached a drawing that shows an explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish. 

1234P1
1/4 Plate
Qty 2

The "1234" is an example job number that would update using fields under drawing properties. The "P" is the part number. Ideally the P# would self count as the block is copied across the drawing. The plate thickness and quantity would be manually updated in attributes.
Plate thicknesses would include-
1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4

My goal is to make a block out of the text that can make identifying parts quicker, easier and more error free. Can someone please make me a block that I can use to accomplish this and maybe I can reverse engineer how to make this work on my own? I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and have been struggling to understand how to make it work. Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: dthrash

As far as I know, there is not any way to make separate insertions of a block automatically number themselves differently, at least not without custom coding.  In ACA (and probably other verticals) schedule tags have that ability, but not dynamic blocks.  

Are you having difficulty getting the job number field working?

The rest would be manually updated, so they seem easy enough.  

Nope, I won't 'make the block for you'. 

Do you have other specific questions on it?

Message 3 of 7
dthrash
in reply to: Libbya

The job number field is easy enough, and I’m able to get that. I’m pretty sure there is a way for it to count itself. I’m just not familiar with attributes enough to make that part work. 

Message 4 of 7
Libbya

You might be able to use custom code like this:  http://www.lee-mac.com/numinc.html  

...or ask on the Customization/LISP forum.  Stock vanilla AutoCAD auto-numbering attributes for different block insertions?  Good luck with that.

Message 5 of 7
dthrash

I could make it work with one block insertion by getting creative with visibility states. I'm just having trouble with making a block count itself.

Message 6 of 7
Libbya

Any block with visibility states will always insert on the same default state.  You would then need to manually switch the state (or use custom code), so that is just a more complicated method that is no more automatic than just manually changing an attribute value.  

Message 7 of 7
dthrash
in reply to: Libbya

Maybe it's a bad idea considering it's not that saving that much work.
Thanks for your time and advice!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta