Rotating / flipping text in dynamic block

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
12531 Views, 18 Replies

Rotating / flipping text in dynamic block

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help with a dynamic block I'm trying to create (see attached).  I need the text to be kept either horizontal or vertical, depending on the rotation of the block.  The text must also stay in the same position, relative to each circle.

The first block (test) works exactly how I'd like it to; I've used point parameters for each text object and also the base point.  I've used a chain action to link it to the flip and the visibilty actions, ensuring the text remains in the correct position when the block is changed.  As you can see, I've set up a visibility state for 0 degrees and 90 degrees.

The second block (rotate) is a bit of a mess.

Unfortunately, the block may be rotated to any angle (e.g. 47 degrees) and I don't want to create visibility states for each variation of the block to ensure the text aligns correctly.  The block must also be able to be flipped as well as rotated.

Is there any way to do this using the rotation parameter?  What I am imagining in my head is being able to link or associate each text object with each circle, so that as the circle is rotated, the text moves with it and adjusts to either a horizontal or vertical position depending on the angle of rotation.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance,

cmaso

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
ojuris
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Is this what you want?

Message 3 of 19
Libbya

Like this?

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ojuris

Perfect ojuris, thank you so much!  Having a quick look at it, I see that each "TAG" rotates round each circle.  Are these chained to the "move" action or the main "rotate" action?

Libbya, I see you've used a look up table but I can't see the flip action, and for some reason I can't get this to work.  I've not had any caffeine yet though, so I'm not fully with it yet!

Thanks,

cmaso

Message 5 of 19
ojuris

hi

chained rotation parameters are attached to main rotate action

and each small rotation action are included to corresponding move action

best regards

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: ojuris

That's great, thank you for clarifying and thanks again for your help.

Have a good day! 🙂

Thanks,
cmaso
Message 7 of 19
Libbya

@Anonymous wrote:

Libbya, I see you've used a look up table but I can't see the flip action, and for some reason I can't get this to work.  I've not had any caffeine yet though, so I'm not fully with it yet!

Thanks,

cmaso

The block I posted flips automatically when you use the rotate grip to rotate past the specified angle (90) and flips back at 270.  Here are two more that keep the tags in order (1&2 on top).  These two blocks appear the same externally but work very differently.  The one on the left is a complicated combination of rotate and flip parameters/actions.  The one on the right switches visibility states.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks Libbya. The second block with the visibility seems a whole lot neater than the rotation / flip parameters but neither block has a flip which "mirrors" the block. I.e. after rotating it 90, there should then be an option to flip it if required.

I will be tearing apart your blocks at a later date to get a grasp on the look up tables though; I haven't played with them at all yet and they look good!

Thanks,
cmaso
Message 9 of 19
Libbya

I still don't see why the additional flip is needed.  Every angle with either the layout of 3,4,5 tags on top or 1,2 tags on top is available with the original automatic flip version I posted (post 3 in this thread).  If you want the 1,2 tags on top then use angles 270 to 0 to 90.  If you wan the 3,4,5 tags on top use the angles 90 to 270.  Adding the flip is easy enough, but it is redundant and just makes the block look exactly like the other 180 degrees.

Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Sorry, I think that's my fault for posting a very basic example.
The block I'm actually working on has other various lines running horizontally and vertically, as well as various other pieces of text and shapes.
The part I was stuck with was rotating the "tags" round each circle, and so the example I created only had them in it.
However, the lookup does seem so, so much neater and I'll be playing around at the weekend to see if it will also work with the original dynamic block.
Message 11 of 19
Libbya

Here's how I would add a flip.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

Wow, that's impressive! I didn't realise you could link the flips to a lookup as well. I see that you have flip state 3 + 4, which don't seem to have a selection set. Is this because they are used to ensure the "TAGS" text flips round correctly?

Thanks,
cmaso
Message 13 of 19
Libbya

Flip3 and Flip4 are useed in the other visibility state.

Both lookups are double lookups (two tables attached).  To see both tables you need BACTIONBARMODE=0.  They are an incredibly powerful part of dynamic blocks.  They allow you to use one table for 'Input' and the other table for 'Output'.  The input table has a parameter or parameters added that the user modifies.  The output table changes other parameter values within the block based on the input values.  In this block I used two double lookups.  One of them uses the rotation parameter value as input and changes the visibility state on the output.  The other uses the flip that has the grip showing as input and changes all of the other flips as output. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

Hi, 

I'm looking for a bit of help with a dynamic block especially with alignment. I´m trying to create (attachements) block that align when I put it in a plan to drawing. It is all right when i use parameters - alignment, but I need to set that:

• when I insert a object e.g. to 90 degrees rotates lines, symbol in the middle of the square must not be rotated, it must be still in the same position, independently of rotation of square and attributes.
  • second, text of attributest must be oriented bottom-up, or from right to lef. It must not be backwards, or upside down. 

I need every idea, thanks in advance.

Message 15 of 19
Charles_Shade

The Alignment Parameter will align all entities in the DynBlk.

You cannot differentiate entities in the DynBlk when using this Parameter.

Also, use only one Alignment Parameter in the DynBlk at a time.

To do what you propose you will need to approach your block from another angle so to speak.

I would suggest Flip and Rotation Actions. Though this will be slower than what you hope to achieve it is a short way to get there with the DynBlk.

You might be able to achieve the result you want with Dbl Lookups and Vis States that relate the placement of the Attrib to the Rotation of the DynBlk and with the Attrib could possibly be made to perform as you wish with the Alignment Parameter. REGEN may be required to see the update.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Message 17 of 19
Libbya

Using a block properties table is a LOT more work and the result is less functional than using a double-lookup.  The lookup accepts range values so you can specify the entire range of degrees over which you would like it flipped one way and another range for when you would like it flipped the other way.  Basically, two rows to the table rather than 360 rows to fill out for a 1 degree increment.  The lookup version also has the benefit of being able to have infinite variability rather than an increment.  Of course, with the lookup you can still define an increment in the rotation parameter properties if you want.     

Message 18 of 19
mmendez

This is what I want. How did you do this one?

Message 19 of 19
ebaartmanGKL77

Double Lookup Tables have blown my mind- thank you Libbya!!

Is it possibly to modify the selection set with BACTIONBARMODE set to 0?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost