Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OOTB Multiple Visibility States - SOLUTION!

152 REPLIES 152
SOLVED
Message 1 of 153
Libbya
60022 Views, 152 Replies

OOTB Multiple Visibility States - SOLUTION!

I have done a fair amount of thinking on how to create multiple visibility states without using the broken vis-add-eng LISP and have come up with a workaround solution!  Obviously, doing all the itterations for multiple visbility states is a bit cumbersome, but at least there IS a workaround.  See attached.

152 REPLIES 152
Message 141 of 153
Libbya
in reply to: jtm2020hyo

No, and I doubt there ever will be.  

Message 142 of 153
jtm2020hyo
in reply to: Libbya

Is there any alternative?
Message 143 of 153
Libbya

Seriously?  The entire point of this thread you are posting in is about an alternative.

Message 144 of 153
mwwm

Great Job! I am just wondering

1. the multiple visibility parameters in your block (dyn windows) was created by via-add-eng?

2. what is the point parameters with move action doing?

Because if I want to setup dimension on/off function, it will double all my visibility states.

*Updates: I created another double lookup bridge for dimension on/off works fine, so I guess the multiple visibility parameters is completely replaced by lookup function.

Thanks.

Message 145 of 153
mwwm

updates: well, it seems if I turned off the dimension, then changed visibility, the dims switch will need to be reset to on and then off again,(of course, the original visibility states is what it is). It works, but not neat as creating all the visibility states? Plus, if there is more options, such as material, it will make the user experience worse? Any advice, please?

I attached the example CAD file. Thanks.

Message 146 of 153
hwalker
in reply to: mwwm

@mwwm 

Here you go. All I did was add the dimensions to a linear scale. For "ON" the linear parameter is length 1 for "OFF" the linear parameter length is 0.00000001 so the dimensions are "still" on the drawing. They're just too tiny to see.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 147 of 153
mwwm
in reply to: hwalker

Thanks! Interesting solution, I like it.

Although in this case, If I turned off the dimension, then the opening size got change, the dimension would come back, but the dimension switch status would keep as off, then users need to click it again.

However, I can see your way will help a lot in my other works, since the scale action can turn off all dimension for multiple visibility status, which make my work much easier!

Message 148 of 153
jtm2020hyo

Maybe playing with layers could be another alternative

Message 149 of 153
mwwm

Thank you for your advice. Yes, the dimension layer is always separate. I am creating a set of chained Dynamic block tools (some contain very complicated combinations), and I just try to setup a switch to solve some half mirror dimension reversed text problem (works but time consuming). The insert field to show dimension way is nice, but it needs to work with auto-regen thing. I also set up View and View port layers as alternative method, but still try to find some better solution.

Thanks for everyone's help again.

Message 150 of 153
mwwm

"Each have 4 possible increments, no grips and move a circle that is hidden for all visibility states."

Hey Libbya,

Are the move action and hidden circle necessary? I think parameter is good enough to act as a "switch".

Message 151 of 153
Libbya
in reply to: mwwm

The circles and move actions are not necessary.  The beginning of this thread was the first posting of the concept when I initially invented it.  If you look later in the thread, I demonstrate some various refinements to the technique, including eliminating the move actions and circles.  I also switch to using point parameters which reduce the number of parameters necessary because the point parameters allow independent X and Y values and so can be used as memory for two separate selection inputs.  

Message 152 of 153
mwwm

Nice ideas. Thanks for explaining. I checked your windows DYN file. Can I know how you made the multiple visibility parameters there? 

Thanks.

mwwm_0-1661361776545.png

Message 153 of 153
drawingsJCAXD

Question if anyone can help. I'm trying my best to get my head around all these alternatives that i can't seem to get it right for the type of dynamic block i'm building.

I'm trying to create a dynamic block where you have a drop down list with a reversed list of multiple options. I'm creating a block of different steel beam sizes.

I can make basic dynamic blocks with actions, but getting it to work with a list within a list is dumbfounding.

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost