Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to dynamic blocks, opens with "contains authoring elements. open in block ..

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AutoMarcus
2346 Views, 6 Replies

new to dynamic blocks, opens with "contains authoring elements. open in block ..

Hi all

i haven't had that much experience with making dynamic blocks for some time, and relatively simple ones so far.

i have made a dynamic block of a spreader bar with shackles (different lengths of bar with rotating shackles) and an end view.

i think i have done ok, lots of repeated entities which im sure could be streamlined. 

however my main question is about saving and opening this block.

it comes up with a note saying it "contains authoring elements. open in block editor?"

i can't find any unmatched authoring elements so was hoping someone may be able to look under the bonnet for some pointers please?

dynamic block error.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: AutoMarcus

There are 'block files' typically created by using the WBLOCK command or doing a 'save as block' from within block editor.  When you open a block file in which there are dynamic parameters/actions, it will display that dialog asking if you want to open in block editor because those dynamic parameters/actions are no accessible outside of block editor.  That is all normal behavior and does not indicate a problem.

As far as your block is concerned you could probably simplify it a bit by using a lookup to adjust the dimensions of the various side views rather than having all the visibility states and repeated linework and dynamic parameters/actions, but I did not look all that closely at it.  The various dimensions might be a bit tricky to implement.

Message 3 of 7
AutoMarcus
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks Libbya

much appreciated

Message 4 of 7
AutoMarcus

Hi Libbya

why is my block the only one at work that has this message?

COuld it be that i haven't nested my dynamic block or wblocked it?

Message 5 of 7
Libbya
in reply to: AutoMarcus

If it is a block file that has block authoring elements (dynamic parameters/actions) then when you open the file you will be prompted to open it in block editor.  If it is not a block file or if it does not have block authoring elements in it, you won't be prompted to open it in block editor.  Perhaps the following screencast will help highlight the difference.  

Message 6 of 7
HYang79WQ6

Thank you so much.

Message 7 of 7
malcolmZHMSM
in reply to: HYang79WQ6

I have had this so many times with dynamic blocks if I wanted to keep a copy with a new name. Never really understood "contains authoring elements" but found that if I opened the block and ran test block I found that I could do a save whilst in test block and it worked for me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta