Did you mean: 

Multiple Visibility Parameters in one block

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
14328 Views, 22 Replies

Multiple Visibility Parameters in one block

Libbya, I am trying to follow the solution you have given in the below article. 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/ootb-multiple-visibility-states-solution/td-p/4961288

I am very familiar with basic dynamic blocks, but I am losing you on this explanation.  What I am trying to create is an interior elevation reference block with an arrow (and attribute text) on all 4 sides of the circle.  I would like to be able to toggle on and off each arrow (and associated reference number) as needed.  this would require 4 visibilities each with an on off option under the lookup or visibility.  I was hoping you might have a screencast of you making the block that I could follow better.  I don't quite follow the process of your creating the hidden move parameters and the lookups linked to the visibility.  Thanks!  The file is attached below.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

One toggle for each arrow/number will require 15 different visibility states (16 - 1 because you don't need the state of all 4 being off).  The following screencast outlines the step-by-step.  Basically you need the 15 visibility states, 4 selection inputs, and a double-lookup which looks at the 4 selection inputs in order to change the visibility state to the desired state.  In the following screencast I use flip parameters as inputs for the double lookup because flip parameters just require the user to click on them to toggle which is a little friendlier than using an on/off pulldown.  I flip the visibility parameter just because the flip parameters do need to flip something in order for their grips to be visible and the visibility parameter is an invisible item in all states so flipping it doesn't affect anything.   

Message 3 of 23
steven-g

In this case a simple On/Off using a lookup and scale action would work.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

@Libbya, when you get all of the flip parameters inserted, you go to add a 'double lookup' under parameters in your block authoring palette.  I do not have that option in my CAD though.  The only option I have under the single lookup is the basepoint.  It appears you have somehow added this option, but how?

Message 5 of 23
hwalker

See the attached Screencast

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 23
Libbya

Steven-g is correct that this block could use the scaling method for turning off the arrows and would be a bit simpler.

Hwalker's screencast shows nicely how to make a double-lookup.  I previously posted this thread with screencast for the same purpose.  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/how-to-make-a-double-lookup/m-p/5785708#M18799

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks, this worked great.

Message 8 of 23
GD.ON

Hi,

I'd like to ask yo for a little help as I can see you were helpful in similar matter.

I have created multiple visibility stage block (based on tutorial for YouTube), but it seems like one parameter (mesh) does not change at all. Tried various things but I have no idea what's happening. Any chance you'd be able to take a look?

Thank you!

Message 9 of 23
ojuris
in reply to: GD.ON

Hi!

Try attached

Message 10 of 23
GD.ON
in reply to: ojuris

Hi ,

many thanks! this is quite different than I used. In the meantime I found the "Mesh" cannot be related to "0" dimension and that causing an issue.

Thanks to you I've learned something new! Thank you for a quick response!

Message 11 of 23
krista.milligan
in reply to: steven-g

@steven-g could you explain this please?

Message 12 of 23
steven-g
in reply to: krista.milligan

Did you download the example I posted above? It shows just one arrow as an example, by scaling the 'hatch' arrowhead down to a very tiny value of 0.0001 it makes it appear as though the arrowhead is being turned on or off, by adding 3 more lookups each with its own linear parameter and with a scale action then you can have the effect of turning all 4 objects on or off independantly.

Message 13 of 23
krista.milligan
in reply to: steven-g

yes @steven-g, but it's hard for me to see what is affecting what & where & when, looking at a completed block. . .that said, I mostly got mine to work.  I have one constant dimension in there that won't disappear when I turn it off so I am still trying to figure out how to deal with that.  Thanks for getting back to me

Message 14 of 23
hwalker

Post your block. Then we can maybe point you in the right direction

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 15 of 23
krista.milligan

Here is the block so far.  The problem is when I set it to double arrow off, I can still see the arrow, I assume because it is set to a constant length.  Another awesome user helped me get to this point with the arrows but I don't know how else I can construct the 2nd arrow to not be seen

Message 16 of 23
hwalker

For the arrows to not show up they need to be hidden in the visibility state that you don't want them showing in.

Select the arrows in one of those states and then click the icon ringed in the image below

Capture.JPG

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 17 of 23
krista.milligan
in reply to: hwalker

@hwalker except that the 2nd arrow's appearance isn't linked to visibility states.  It is completely independent of the rest of the block's options & only needed on a case by case basis.  I don't want to add to the number of visibility states I have in there if I can help it

Message 18 of 23
hwalker

Which arrow is it?

You could 'fake' a visibility state by scaling the arrow down really tiny. Have a look at the drawing I posted in this thread to give you an idea of what I mean.

Re: Multiple visibility parameters - Autodesk Community - AutoCAD

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 19 of 23
krista.milligan
in reply to: hwalker

It's the 2nd leader, in this case the top one.  It is already set up to scale as you've mentioned here but the length of that arrowhead won't scale because of the 0.12 dimension assigned to it. 

Message 20 of 23
hwalker

@krista.milligan I can't use constraints as I only have LT, but I made the arrowhead a block and you might be able to constrain it to the line. See the attached drawing

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta