Did you mean: 

Making A Dynamic Block for Steel Beams

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
gottfriedjoseph01
729 Views, 5 Replies

Making A Dynamic Block for Steel Beams

I've been trying to create a dynamic block for steel beams but I can't seem to get the actions correct. I've been trying to add parameters for changing the size of the block and making it stretchable. I'd like to have all the standard sizes available according to North American Steel  Any help would be great. The drawing is below. The ray lines are to show the how the beams are to be shown in plan view.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I can send you an example if you would like.

But heads up, depending on how much detail you are going for it does get a bit complicated.

If you are capturing the radius corners you will most likely need to scale those and to keep things together geometric constraints are often used.  

Another aspect is capturing all the beam data and placing it into a lookup table so you can properly size the various beams.

Best Regards

-Tim C.

Message 3 of 6

Please and thank you.

Message 4 of 6

Here you go

Message 5 of 6

these blocks are exactly what i was looking for.

Message 6 of 6

FYI, They will make your drawing pretty heavy if you use more than a few.

My suggestion is to use them to create the image you need, save a copy with the dynamic block in-tact for maintenance purposes.  But for the production drawing I would explode the block then recreate that instance of the exploded block.

This will pull all the extra weight out of the block.

Explode

purge

ctrl + X, cut objects

ctrl + sht + v paste as a new block

rename as applicable

Adjust base point as required inside the new block

Best Regrds

-Tim C.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta