Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Table to Display Blocks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
900 Views, 11 Replies

Lookup Table to Display Blocks

I am creating a dynamic block with lookup tables. I am starting out with 2 lookups. What I would like to accomplish with this is to be able to select a tank size and a voltage.

When I select the voltage, I would like a block to appear showing that the voltage is 480 3 Phase have part numbers built into the attributes.

I know how to create a block with attributes that are constant and place them into a block. What I do not know is how to have those blocks automatically appear using a lookup table.

I know how to use the visibility arrows instead of the lookup, but I have run into the issue that there can only be 1 visibility arrow. I guess I could accomplish what I wanted with a single visibility arrow that shows every part on it and have the proper block appear from the selection on a visibility arrow, but to be able to select from a lookup arrow might be a better option to allow everything to be more broken up.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

For Example Lookup2 would show a selection a 4 or 6 tons and display the text 4 or 6 ton tank. In the text will be invisible attributes such as part numbers. I just do not know how to link blocks with a lookup table. 

I attached the drawing in my previous post.

Message 3 of 12
Joel_Facet

Watch Libbya's screencast found here (https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/how-to-make-a-double-lookup/m-p/5785708/highlight/true...)

this has helped me as well as dozens of others on accomplishing your end-goal. also, if you search the forums for almost anything pertaining to "Weld Symbols" you will probably find a double-lookup workaround of some degree.

Message 4 of 12
Libbya

You didn't post the block.  You posted a png image file.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Ok

An example of what I would like to do-

I am going to turn 3.75T, 6T, 8T, 10T, and 12T into blocks. I am going to put attributes into those blocks such as part numbers that I will use for data extraction. this I know how to do. In the main block of the tank, I want to put selection arrows for each of the sets (an example of the sets will be voltage selections). I want to be able to turn the voltage also into their own blocks and have these blocks be selectable in the tank block.

The problem I am running into is that I cannot save more than 1 selection arrow as a visibility into the main block.

I am assuming that lookup is the correct option. I just do not see where to make lookup linked to a set of blocks. I can input a lookup table and have it be selectable text, but I dont know how to make it appear in the block or just have the lookup selection be blocks that can be selected. Maybe I am going about this wrong.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

My block

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

For example, I try to add properties to the lookup table and everything is grayed out.

Message 8 of 12
steven-g

Still no sign of any blocks just a loose collection of lines and text, from your description it sounds as though you are wanting to get the functionality of a visibility state and change it to work with a lookup, unfortunately, a visibility state and lookup do different things, you can combine the two, even use some tricks to make people think they do the same, but at a very basic level visibility turns things on and off and lookups let you work with lists and sizes.

So if your different blocks are the same geometry but just scaled up and down then lookups would work, if it changes from square to round then you need to add visibility states for each different type, but then use lookups to control their size and any other data that belongs with them.

A good description of what each part is made up of, with examples, would make it a lot easier for someone to be able to offer productive advice. Or at the very least 2 variations of blocks so we can see how one needs adjusting to change it to another.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Ok, here are 3 blocks

I would like to combine them all to the tank.dwg

On the tank.dwg, I would like to have selectable relief valves like on relief valves.dwg and selectable tank sizes.

I will post the positions in the next post.

Is this possible to insert and have the multiple selection arrows?

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Here is where I would like the selections to be.

Notice on the tank where 3.75 above the "co2 storage tank" and the relief valve just above it that says single.

Message 11 of 12
Joel_Facet

Trying to understand what you are wanting to accomplish based on the provided dwg. it sounds like you are wanting to have visibility with each #T, as well as double/single connection, AND options for each voltage. in which case this will all fall back on turning things on or off. which would be a visibility/look-up variation. to preform this, you would need to first create a visibility state for every desired option, and then assign a coordinate/list system to combine your lookups. you would have 195+ visibilities. 

though I have done this method, I'm no expert on lookup tables. but this would be my starting point based on what you are describing.

EDIT: We posted nearly simultaneously. The less information you want in the block, the more simple it will become. if you are just wanting the tank size and relief valve, creating  simple visibility state with each may be the easiest route. my 195 vis state guess came with incorporating all of the different voltage items from your initial provided dwg file. 

Message 12 of 12
steven-g
in reply to: Joel_Facet

Using a lookup to work as a drop-down list, is fairly straightforward, see the attached dwg. The lookup needs some parameter to refer too, though it actually does nothing except work as a sort of placeholder. If you then use an attribute with a field to read the lookup value you can adjust the size and position as needed. When you add or change attributes in blocks you normally need to run the attsync command to make them appear. And when you make a change with the lookup arrow then a regen is needed before the values update in your drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost