Did you mean: 

Lists AND increments in the same block

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
strawberry12
1214 Views, 7 Replies

Lists AND increments in the same block

I'm making a dynamic block of a column radiator. Like all column radiators, this particular model comes in a range of heights, and a range of standard widths. But, because it's a cloumn radiator, you can always add another column, so making a non-standard width. There's usually a small cost associated with going with a non-standard width.

1. Is there a (fairly) simple way to represent this concept within a Dynamic Block?

2. At the moment, I'm ignoring this fact and just have a long list of all the valid increments. I did it as a list (as opposed to increments) so that the user could easily see what length they were providing.

As I see it, the downside of this approach is that the base point of the block is at one end of the radiator, rather than in the middle, so in most cases, if you stretch the block, you also have to reposition it. The best option would be to be able to choose whether the base point was in the middle or at one end (with the default being in the middle) but, and here's my question, if the base point is in the middle won't the list values be half their actual value? This would make radiator selection even more tediuos and confusing than it already is!

Sorry for being long-winded. Am I making any sense?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Yes you are making sense but as always post a sample of what you want to do.

Basepoints can only exist once in a Dynamic Block so you cannot place two Basepoints.

You can however place a Point Parameter and use Cycling (CTRL) to move to that point as the insertion. 

Message 3 of 8
strawberry12
in reply to: strawberry12

When I try to do that, I get the following error:

The file type doesn't match the type of its contents

Should I just upload the file somewhere else?

Message 4 of 8

The Forum is having some trouble with uploading at this time; you are not alone in the frustration.

Zipping the file has been working if you want to give that a try.

Message 5 of 8

Zipped version of same...

Regards,

Message 6 of 8

As a start drop a Basepoint Parameter into the middle of the Polyline that is at the base of your Block. Now the Block will Insert at that point; though the Length and Array willl only stretch in one direction.

Does that work? If so:

Change the Base Location for the Length Parameter to Midpoint and see what happens. (You will likely need to add a Stretch Action to the left side Vavle to get it to follow along.)

Any better or worse?

Message 7 of 8

Charles,

Thanks - that worked perfectly! I don't think I ever noticed 'midpoint' option before. Much better. Cheers. 🙂

Message 8 of 8

If that Solved your question would you please mark this Thread as such.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report