Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep Dynamic blocks current names when importing in other softwares?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
niklavs.pleiko
604 Views, 2 Replies

How to keep Dynamic blocks current names when importing in other softwares?

Hello,

I am looking for a way, how to read a .dwg or .dxf file all it's containing block names, that are phisically created in Modelspace.

I have an issue only with Dynamic blocks. Static block names I can already read and have no issue with that.

I am trying to import .dwg/.dxf file in to Rhino, and than read Block names by using Grasshopper.

The thing is, that during importing of .dxf or .dwg file in to Rhino - all Dynamic block names crashes and are substituded with useless generic numbers, such as "*U2108".

But if I am looking at Dynamic block name within AutoCAD, than it is just fine - showing current geometry data as name.

(see pictures for both examples).

Is there some way, how I could import .dwg/.dxf file in to Rhino without doing this?

Is there any way, how I could use C# or Python script, to be able to run "Command: _dataextraction" without physically opening CAD software, and getting this BLOCK NAME as a .txt data, that could be read in Grasshopper than?

Is there any other way, how I could be able to precisely read also Dynamic block Names in to Rhino (s they are in AutoCAD model space?) ?

Thanks in advance,

Niklavs.2021-07-06_11h28_15.png2021-07-06_11h38_08.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
h_s_walker
in reply to: niklavs.pleiko

Those are internal AutoCAD references due to the dynamic block having a setting change.

eg. The base length of that screw in your image could be 10 if you then change the length to be 20 AutoCAD will create a *U reference which contains the new details of that block.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 3
niklavs.pleiko
in reply to: h_s_walker

Thanks for info,

Unfortunately, this will not resolve a main issue in this situation. Sinc this Grashopper test have to give some type of automated checks of different type of CAD files, that are "fed" in to it.

So general idea is - read correct data and than use it in Grasshopper.

There could be any type of CAD file given to Grasshopper, so I can not predict, which "*U...." will be used in any of fed CAD files.

Than this Grasshopper script looses it's purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report