Did you mean: 

Help finishing this block with constraints

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
murmanator
253 Views, 5 Replies

Help finishing this block with constraints

Hello, the attached file has 2 blocks. First is the OLD which I somehow made several years ago, probably with help from the group here. The second one NEW is a revised version of it that I need to do some different actions with and Im not sure how. Forgive me, I cant remember how I made the original block and Im not having any success trying to replicate the actions after 2 days of attempts. What needs to happen is as follows:

1. The FIRST STEP parameter needs to stretch the entire step polyline (cyan line), the dotted green line, and the FIRST DEPTH parameter. The upper left vertex of the step line needs to stay connected to the vertical pool shell line (darker blue).

2. At the same time, moving the first step to the right should also change the lower pool shell line to follow and maintain the 3' dimension at the green line.

3. The FIRST DEPTH parameter currently includes only the green line and needs to also include the last vertical step line as well at the lower pool shell line.

4. The MARKER parameter somehow now includes the lower pool shell line and it shouldnt. It didnt on the original block, if you use that for reference thats how the MARKER is supposed to work. The red line is just supposed to slide along the pool shell and maintain the depth wherever it is.

5. Here is the tricky one: Moving the DRAIN or DRAIN DEPTH parameters now stretches the longer pool shell line (lower left) from its intersection with the left vertical line (where the 2'-8" dim is). Instead it needs to keep the depth at the green line and rotate the longer pool shell line with that as the base point. The depth must be maintained at the green line no matter where the drain or drain depth are.

Thank you, I know this is a lot. Any pointers are appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MMcCall402
in reply to: murmanator

I think I understand ...

Added Coincide constraint to left end of top stair to anchor it to the left wall and again and the bottom step to anchor it to the floor. 

Added horizontal dimensional constraints to the two other stair treads and one to the green dashed line.  Set their grips to 0.  This will hold their horizontal relationship to each other.

The marker line behaves now that the floor is held in place by the stair geometry and the dimensional constraint of the green dashed line.  (The old block had a vertical dimensional constraint at the left end that held the floor in place)

Rev block attached.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 3 of 6
murmanator
in reply to: MMcCall402

Mark, thank you! I wasnt expecting someone to do this for me, just pointers on how to do. The only issue I see is when stretching the First Depth, all the steps are following. That should only stretch the last horizontal step line. All the horizontal step lines should remain where they are. Thank you so much again, this is really fantastic!

Message 4 of 6
MMcCall402

I'm not understanding ...

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 5 of 6
murmanator
in reply to: MMcCall402

Mark, sorry I got that part figured out. I do have another question though. I made a new block to show a 4 step pool, I had to redraw the steps and move some things around, and Im having trouble with the last constraint. How did you setup the Coincident constraint to hold the last vertical step line to the floor of the pool? There is one Coincident there now holding the green line to the floor and when I attempt to add one for the cyan line it is saying Im over constraining it and it wont apply it.

When I look at the block you did there are 2 Coincident constraints there and I cant seem to add the second one.

Message 6 of 6
murmanator

Ahhh, I just got it! Just try everything and eventually I find it. Thank you again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost