Did you mean: 

Fields in dynamic block

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1099 Views, 7 Replies

Fields in dynamic block

Is it possible to put fields in a dynamic block in such a way that the field value would be controlling the action of the dynamic parameter?

I am basically trying to create a custom property in Sheet set manager named north pointer angle. This custom property is meant to define the direction of the north pointer with respect to the positive x-axis. Now I am planning to link this value to the north pointer in each drawing sheet format. the north pointer in the sheet format is a dynamic block which has a rotate parameter assigned to it. the rotation angle is supposed to come from the value given in the custom property of SSM.

the idea is that I only need to set the north pointer angle in the SSM and all the drawings in the whole project would always indicate that same value. this way, I won't be needing to set in each and every drawing.

can someone throw light on this? Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

No, not without custom code.   Attributes do not affect parameters.  In fact, without some sort of custom code nothing affects parameters aside from actual grip movement or changes to parameter values in properties.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Hmmm...

AutoCAD has evolved so much since its first release but still, there are so many things that can be done to automate a lot of CAD/CAM activity.

Sometimes, I think that I am expecting too much from CAD. These kind of things are basic setup in Revit. i should simply learn Revit and move on to it.

thanks for your time and effort mate.

Message 4 of 8
Libbya

As far as your North arrow is concerned, I use a titleblock x-ref.  I have a North arrow within that file on its own layer.  I set it to the appropriate angle for the plans within the set and turn on the x-ref North arrow layer for sheets I want the North arrow to show and turn it off for sheets where I do not want it to show.  I can also insert the same North arrow block on individual sheets (e.g. site plan) to show North at a different direction if necessary.  That system seems to accomplish all of the automation you were seeking.  

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

we have been using the same system till now. It solves the issue when you send the whole package to some other party involved in the project. however, the problem arises when you intend to send a few drawings of project to other parties. in that case, every time, etransmit is needed. I have been trying to remove this limitation by trying to automate the dynamic block put into the format in the layout. in that case, just sending that cad file without any etransmit is easily doable.

I guess you can't have an apple in both hands here.

Message 6 of 8
samspade

why use an xref? you could just make it part of the block.

Revit is not  a manufacturing tool. it is not good for everything, really depends on your needs.

Message 7 of 8
Libbya
in reply to: samspade

@samspade wrote:

why use an xref? you could just make it part of the block.

I assume you are asking me (fantoosh420 never mentioned using an x-ref).   I use an x-ref for parts of the titleblock that I want displayed in multiple files (e.g. north arrow).  Using a block instead of an x-ref would require updating every sheet that used the north arrow if there was a change rather than adjusting just the single x-ref.

Message 8 of 8
samspade

yes I get that. but it would avoid the problem described with etransmit and if it were on a tool palette it could be easily updated in every open file.

just a thought, but as we know workflows are very preference driven things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost