Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Dimensions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
348 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Dimensions?

Currently struggling to set up a block using dynamic parameters and dimensions - parametric constraints need to be based on dimensions, but my dimensions are supposed to be variable based on my grips and actions, and AutoCAD freaks out when I try to define a parametric constraint based on a non-locked parameter. Any advice? Thanks.

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In case my post was unclear, this is an article ostensibly getting into what I want to do. Also, I'm still recovering from a surgery and my brain is very foggy atm so if this is complete nonsense I apologize.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-raster-design/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/lesson... 

Message 3 of 8
pendean

Thanks for the link: that is spcifically for RASTER DEISGN, an AutoCAD add-on. Are you using RD?

The post is also a topic on constraints, not "dynamic dimensions": that is a separate ability best explored in HELP starting right here https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/AutoC...
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I am not using RD, thanks for letting me know. I have looked at the other resource you sent me, however, and I think I understand it pretty well - I'm just struggling to create a length parameter that can be manipulated using a stretch grip while still being able to be referenced by other parameters. Do you have any idea how I could go about doing that?

Message 5 of 8
pendean

Show your work: post your DWG file with your content, add notes explaining what the final result is desired.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

In this Dynamos drawing there's a block called "Insertable" - it has three "dials" on the bottom with grips that alter the shape of the geometry at the top. Grips one and two change the width and height of the geometry, while the third grip is supposed to alter the height of a "toe kick" rectangle within the geometry. It should end up being d1 - d3 units from the top of the geometry, d1 being the result of the 1st dial and d3 being the result of the 3rd.

Message 7 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

If I guess right it should be possible. 

But for clarifying before: 

Please show us a (manually drawn) example how the geometry should look after dragging the third grip. Where/what are d1 and d3?  

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Following exact your instruction I would suggest a block as attached: 

d1 drives the width of the outer rectangle

d2 drives the height of the outer rectangle

d3 (with d1) are used to drive the height of the inner rectangle the height must be the difference d1-d3. 

But I'm rather sure this is not what you want to achieve, or ... (?)

We need a more precise explanation or an example as I already asked above.

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost