Did you mean: 

Dynamic block crashes autocad

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
joostbosman
364 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic block crashes autocad

I am having some trouble with 3 dynamic blocks. they were made by an ex-colleage some years ago with an older version of autocad (i think it was autocad 2018 but i am not sure). Recently we switched to autocad 2024 (a combination of the full version and the LT version). When we use the dymanic blocks in 2024, the program crashes. I noticed it doesn't crash when you change the block with small increments. The crash only happens with these 3 block specifically.

does anybody have a cause or solution? i would prefer if i didn't have to remake the blocks. 

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hwalker
in reply to: joostbosman

I only have LT here, but in LT2024 it crashed for me as well (even after auditing the drawings, they all have errors in them).

I then tried opening them in LT2016 and got the following text when I tried to stretch the block "one or more constrained objects cannot be resolved"

The link below is all I could find about that error

Stretching or moving objects moves other geometry in AutoCAD (autodesk.com)

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: hwalker

@joostbosman 

Please test the attached first attempt.

If it works for you I will try to repair the both others too.

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

It's weekend - why not play with the next too? 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
j.palmeL29YX

Ok, here an attempt with the last one, 

HTH

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
joostbosman

Thank you!!

This fixed the blocks for me. It doesn't crash anymore. 

How did you fix them? 

You saved me alot of frustration. 

Message 7 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: joostbosman

@joostbosman wrote:

How did you fix them?  

The short answer: I deleted all your constraints (command _DelConstraint) and added them completely new. 

Delete constraints.png

A longer explanation: 

While adding constraints I follow some "rules". These are not official rules, but only suggestions born from my experience while dealing with constraints for my personal use. Why not share with the community? Here we go: 

1.) Instead of a bunch of lines and arcs use Polylines whenever possible. (PEDIT-> Join or JOIN command or draw polylines from beginning). This way you can avoid a lot of (IMO unnecessary) coincidence constraints. 

This step should be done before adding other constraints to the segments of the polyline, because the new created polylines don't have any constraints assigned.

2.) The geometry should be full constrained. 

3.) Avoid chaotic assigned constraints 

4.) I don't "love" the symmetric constraint of objects

Symmetric constrained objects are not really like mirrored (as we mostly expect). 

5.) Try to avoid redundancies:  

Sometimes it happens, that you add constraints whose effect was already assigned by another constraint.
One example is shown in the video above (symmetric constraints). First I added symmetric constraints to the objects (line, arc). Then I added two symmetric constraints to the endpoints. The last added constaints fix the geometry sufficiently, the before constraints added to the object are not necessary and should be deleted (as shown in the video).
Another example: draw a line add a horizontal constraint to the line. Next for some reason you add two fix constraints to the both endpoints of the line. Now you don't need the horizontal constraint anymore, it should be deleted. 

6.) Sometimes it is useful to limit the allowed values for parameters to avoid unwanted results. 

I stop now and hope I could give you some helpful hints to create stable parametric driven block. If you have further questions, feel free to let us know. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost