Did you mean: 

Drive linear parameter length from function with parameters as input

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cbuchert
251 Views, 2 Replies

Drive linear parameter length from function with parameters as input

Hey there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm trying to figure out how to build a dynamic block which takes a height (h) and an angle (theta) as inputs in some form and does a little math (h*TAN*theta) to drive the length of a linear parameter, which is then used to scale a circle (bigger h, bigger circle; bigger theta, bigger circle, etc.). As far as I can tell, actions pair 1:1 with parameters and cannot have custom functions driven by block parameters injected into them. I could do a Block Properties table, but I'd have to generalize the math and the list would get long and prone to operator error. Does anyone know of a way to drive the length of a linear parameter as a function of multiple other inputs (parameters, attribute definitions, lookups, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: cbuchert

AFAIK such mathematical calculations can only be done with dimensional constraint parameters. 

Unfortunately you didn't show us an example dwg in which context you need that. 

The here attached dwg shows exemplarily how you can use such expressions [e.g. h*tan(theta)] to drive the value of a parameter dia1 depending on the parameters h and theta.

The result (to show a meaningful example): depending on the parameters h and theta you get a circle diameter that the obliqued line (or its extension) meet the circle always in its right Quadrant point. (BTW: This result we also can reach without of calculate the diameter. We can help more detailed if ypu show us your current problem). 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
cbuchert
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

@j.palmeL29YX, this is exactly what I'm trying to do! Solving the problem with drawing geometry is a really great pattern. Thanks so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report