Did you mean: 

Chain Reaction after Rotation is Set - Design Help

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
sarahC6DTR
616 Views, 12 Replies

Chain Reaction after Rotation is Set - Design Help

I've stumped myself designing this block. Ideally, the only grip that would power this would be for the rotation shown in red.

Shown below are the default state and changed state of the block with notes in red on showing the criterias I need met. The dimension shown between the green lines say "EQ" meaning they must stay equal and also parallel with each other. The vertical green lines will go up and down depending on the offset rotation grip. The horizontal green lines will rotate depending on the offset rotation grip.

If you know of any similar blocks or concepts I can use for reference, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've also included my dwg file. I think i need more constraints but i can't think of what else to use.

BLOCK.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: sarahC6DTR

Is that what you need?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
sarahC6DTR
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

While that functions the way i need. Space between the vertical green lines cannot decrease or should always be the same as the diameter of the blue circle as the rotation changes.

Message 4 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

New attempt: 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
sarahC6DTR

Thank you!

I've tried to reverse engineer your block to understand it, however I'm not sure how I can get the angular constraint parameter to center on horizontal blue line. Would you be able to explain how you were able to create this block?

Message 6 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

@sarahC6DTR wrote:

Would you be able to explain how you were able to create this block?

The video doen't show exactly the same way as I did in the file which I posted above - there are a lot of ways to get the same result ...   

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
sarahC6DTR

thank you for the video! i was able to recreate it no problem. 

I have a follow up question. I intend on using this as a head of a stretchable block. I tried to apply the stretch on it but it did not move with the line. How would i do this with the constraints in mind? Additionally this block also will need to rotation from the base point, which is its left most grip.  I apologize, I should have included these pieces of information from the beginning. I assumed the solution would use a lot less contraints than what i had in mind.

sarahC6DTR_2-1725995886216.png

Message 8 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

Would you please add to your image an example how the block should look after rotating. And also:

- Where do you want a grip for rotating

- where dou you want a grip for stretching

- where the base point (in your image I don't see a "left most grip")?

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
sarahC6DTR

I have attached the block file I am working to overhaul and improve. Below is a quick diagram which answers your questions and provides a bit more context to the block's usage and the issue I need to address which the hanger head type. The hanger head type is the name of the block we've been working on.

sarahC6DTR_0-1726075344304.png

Message 10 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

Do you really want to rotate each hangar individually (as I interprete your comments in the diagram)? 

Let us know if I misunderstand your issue.

The video and also the attached dwg refers only to the "hangar" problem. 

The proposed solution is based on the use of constraints. Be aware: You should never use constraints and dynamic parameters/action side by side in a dynamic block, that will fail in most cases. So you should in your block substitute the remaining dynamic actions by suitable constraints. 

Good luck

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
sarahC6DTR

I made this block without much experience with block making. At the time of designing it a few months ago, this was the only way I could manipulate the each hanger. What I wanted was a singular grip that would change the rotation of both hangers which I couldn't do.

Thank you for giving me more assistance. I believe that the test1 block is the block i need to use. But before I implement this into my multi head block, you mentioned that using constraints and dynamic parameters/action could make my block fail. I have some questions about this.

(1) With the block I gave you contains text that need to be rotated along with the rotation of the beam itself. Would the angular constraint on the block you designed be able to take my text as well as the other head options and rotate those? The goal is to keep all the head options in one block

(2) I am working with 3 different grips (leader on/off, head A, and head B) that control the visibility of this block using a double look up. Will these lookup parameters grips also move using the constraints? I am attaching my progress on the block. It is far from where i need it to be currently, but it contains all my ideas on the functionality of the block. You will see that the hangers do not work properly at all, i just wanted you to see the look ups parameters that i need with this block.

Message 12 of 13
j.palmeL29YX

@sarahC6DTR wrote:

... the test1 block is the block i need to use. But before I implement this into my multi head block,

The good news: 

It is quite possible to rotate the text objects with constraints (even if this requires some effort) - and if you want to know I can show you how I would do that,

but the bad news: 

- constraint parameters can not be used in Lookup tables (only in block tables such parameters can be used)

- using constraints we don't have a practicable equivalent to the dynamic Point parameter (e.g for free moving objects)

- Flip parameter/action doesn't work properly with "constraint driven" geometry and there is no a practicable equivalent tool in the "world of constraints"

- and, dynamic blocks with constraints have some other disadvantages 

My fazit: Your block is (will be) too complex for handling with constraints. But for the "hangar problem" I don't know a way how to solve using dynamic parameters and actions. I'm afraid you will ot be able to put all the whished functionality in one block. I couldimagine a block as you begun, but without the hangars. For these you can build an own block and place it manually at the end of beam block. I know, tha is not "elegant" but I don't kno a better suggestion. 

Perhaps some of the really experts for dynamic blocks ( @Libbya @hwalker @MMcCall402 or others) will jump in here and may give you more assistance. 

(I will be on vacation for the next days)

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
sarahC6DTR

Jurgen, thank you for you assistance with this block. I appreciate the time you've spent working with me.

The priority functions for this block are switching heads in any combination, setting rotation within the block, lengthening the beam, and turning leader on and off. For now, I am proceeding with the creation of this block without the hanger movements we've worked on and am reverting back to the individual rotations for the hanger legs since I am not able to mix constraints with the parameter sets with my current skills.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report