Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the units be specified for table values in a dynamic block?

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
hencoop
1678 Views, 23 Replies

Can the units be specified for table values in a dynamic block?

I want decimal values to always be shown in some of my tables but if the DWG units are Architectural they display feet and inches which is most unhelpful.  Can the units be specified for table values in a dynamic block?

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
ToanDN
in reply to: hencoop

Those are the Last 30-day counts. His life time count is over 800.
Message 22 of 24
hencoop
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you.

I saw that he said it was over 800 and I wanted to make it clear I was not trying to slight him with the numbers I found.

Message 23 of 24
Libbya
in reply to: hencoop

That image is (was) the number of solutions on this forum in the last 30 days.  I currently have 811 total on the Dynamic Blocks forum.

If I were to choose any particular post in this thread as "completely useless, unhelpful and added nothing to the discussion but a source for misunderstanding" it would be this one of yours:

"The Columns in the table are created by and match the parameters of the dynamic block.  I don't think that creating a user parameter could be made to link its text values to a linear parameter."

I know of no way to interpret that post other than as a direct contradiction of the solution offered by both myself and vinodkl just prior to that post.  Yes, a user parameter can be made to link its text values to a linear parameter as both I and vinodkl stated right beforehand and as I demonstrated with a screencast consequently.  When you directly contradict what I know to be true right after I have (and someone else as well) have stated it to be true, at that point I must assume that you have not put in the effort to understand or test that information.  I understand that you feel that assessment is too harsh, but it is what it is.  If instead, you had asked HOW to link them or WHY you should link them, I would have kindly obliged with added information.  You didn't, though.      

You said I should not be so quick to criticize people.  That might or might not be true.  Regardless of the truth of it, you must see that you are in no position to offer behavioral advice to me on the one hand if you object to me offering it to you on the other.  If you object to my recommendation for you not to be a hypocrite, you must equally object to ever having recommended to me not to be so quick to criticize.      

At this point, I am happy to let this whole thing rest.  I'm fine.  I hope you are too.  

Message 24 of 24
hencoop
in reply to: Libbya

@ToanDN told me that the image showed only the last 30-days and I thanked him for explaining what I had found.  I saw your 800+ count in your most recent post and knew I had messed up again so I posted the image merely to explain why I used those numbers and to apologize for getting it wrong again.  No slight was intended.  I was and am trying my best to apologize and recant my vitriol from this thread and with 809+ solutions I thought 24 would be offensive.  That is impressive for 30 days and 811 is impressive for all time.  You sincerely have my respect for your superior accomplishment.

I agree that "I don't think it will work" was useless and is precisely my error which led to this lengthy exchange. 

I am so sorry that I cannot convince you otherwise regarding my use of the word "linked".  Please permit me to try once more.  According to my original understanding and meaning in using the word "linked", I have yet to successfully "link" a user parameter to a linear parameter in a dynamic block even after applying your very good solution.  It may be a subtle difference but in my limited understanding, when I said "linked" I meant the user parameter actually becomes the column that the linear parameter refers to.  I was wrong in my understanding and you have made that clear to me.

I now understand that the user parameter being "used" in the selection interface for the block is what you mean by the word "linked" and that has the exact same effect as if it met my initial faulty understanding.  I truly did work on my block to apply the posted instructions.  I am truly sorry that my unwitting writing of "I don't think it will work" has led to so much.  I failed to fully understand your written explanation but your video explanation was crystal clear.  Thanks to your excellent instruction my improved understanding is now that my user parameter is "linked" to the linear parameter.  I am truly sorry that my misunderstanding has led to so much time lost between us.  However, getting beyond this AND eliminating the bad feelings I have caused is well worth it IMHO.  It is my earnest hope that you will permit me this mistake without assigning to me the dismissal or rebuff of your very fine explanation and solution.  I learned from you what I had not known, I applied it, I thanked you for it and now I beg your forgiveness for every offense I am responsible for... please.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report