Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculated Dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
595 Views, 5 Replies

Calculated Dimensions

Is it possible to put a formula into a block definition so that a length dimension is set by a formula?  I want to have 3 user parameters, and change a length parameter based on a formula using those 3 parameters.  For example, Distance1 = A*B/C

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, parametric constraints can be defined by formulae.  What you desire is easily accomplished using Parameters Manager.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

I tried but I get an invalid syntax error.  Can action parameters accept formulas?

Message 4 of 6
Libbya

Dynamic parameters cannot accept a formula.  As I said before, though, parametric constraints can.  Here's a screencast example.  I didn't use Parameters Manager, but rather just altered the definitions directly.  Either way works.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

So, the action parameters can't be set by formula, but I can set lengths and angles by formula using constraints.  I have to decide to either set the values by constraints or by actions, not both.

Message 6 of 6
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Yup.  I wish the two played together better or rather I wish dynamic parameters accepted formulae.  If they did, I would have absolutely no use for constraints at all.  There isn't a single task that would not be done more easily using the dynamic parameters/actions.  That's not the case, though, and you've hit on one of the three uses I've found for constraints.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report