Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attribute and lookup table, failing?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1211 Views, 4 Replies

Attribute and lookup table, failing?

A colleague using a dynamic block we have for steel sections is having a problem, we have a text attribute which reads off a lookup table and displays the selecetd beam size.

For some reason the result ends up as ####, even though the block geometry is properly set up.

When I do an edit on the field the dialogue that pops up is: "the object referenced by the field is not a valid object".

Any clue as to why it isn't working?

I can manually reset the field for each block, but we have '00's of blocks and its rather time consuming.

DWG attached shows a block which isn't working next to one that is, showing the definition is at least fine.

I've tried ATTSYNC and RESETBLOCK and no effect. From previous discussions on this, SAVEFIDELITY is off and not using annotative scaling. The failing block was also inserted into the attached file, so it isn't down to the block definition, its something to do with how the object information is extracted by the field?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
h_s_walker
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not 100% sure about what's happening BUT I did have a look at your drawing

Your good block
%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 2126142200>%).Parameter(170).lookupString \f "%tc4">%

Your bad block
%<\AcObjProp.16.2 Object(%<\_ObjId 0>%).Parameter(170).lookupString \f "%tc4">%

Block I put in
%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId 2127965256>%).Parameter(170).lookupString \f "%tc4">%

As you can see from the above text. Two things stand out between the good blocks and the bad block

1. The good blocks have an ObjID of a long number whereas the bad block is 0

2. The good blocks do not have . 16.2 after AcObjProp whereas the bad block does.

I've just had another look, and the problem is something to do with your Attribute you have in there.

Delete it and recreate it and ATTSYNC should work.

I think the problem could be with where you have linked the attribute to the Text scale table (how did you do that).

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: h_s_walker

Dang, I didn't think of doing something to the attribute definition itself. Doesn't need to be deleted, just rename the tag, ATTSYNC will see it as being a new attribute and so update and fix those attributes which don't work. Just tested this and works fine.

I can only think that if '16.2' is in there the drawing has been changed in some way by some backwards compatability setting or issue? Version 16.2 was Autocad 2006 where Dynamic Blocks were introduced. I don't know the full history of the drawing unfortunately, but I've found my colleagues (using 2010) saving backwards to 2004 often enough, for all that even 2007 is now obsolete. Maybe that has something to do with it?

On your question, I didn't create the block, I found it somewhere on the net created by someone else, I've just tidied it up for our office use by switching to hidden most of the grips which were rather confusing. I believe other firms use the same block here in the UK (I've had drawings from a steel fabrictaor using it), so someone out there is deserving of a lot of credit for it.

The scaling of the text is being done by the scale being relative to the distance between two points, if the text size is changed, the distance between the points is increased, e.g. go from 5mm to 10mm, and so increases or decreases the scale by the proportion of the change. An indirect but clever way to do things.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Message 4 of 5
h_s_walker
in reply to: Anonymous

Glad I could help.

Don't forget to mark the problem as solved.

I'm from the sunny UK as well. Well it's sunny outside my work window at the moment.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: h_s_walker

Sun, something unusual in this part of the world...

By comparison I grew up in 'Sunny Queensland'. The days where you would have nothing but bright blue sky, not a cloud in sight....sometimes months between rain. People ask why on earth I live here when I could be there, and they really don't understand when I say I prefer the climate.

What they don't get is that it get unbearably hot, unlike Surrey where the hottest it gets is still bearable.

Thanks for your suggestion, solved.

*Dang* I could be up there with expert status if my login hadn't been deleted for some reason.

Years of posts gone...maybe too long between posts or I upset someone?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report