Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotative Text in Non-Annotative Block

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
530 Views, 1 Reply

Annotative Text in Non-Annotative Block

I have a block that contains an drawing of a traffic sign along with its sign code (as MText) directly beneath the sign. The drawing of the traffic sign is not annotative, but the text is. The text is set to a "Paper text height" to 0.10 (I presume inches?) and the DWGUNITS for the source block file is Inches. 

I'm running into an issue where the block, when inserted into another drawing, is not maintaining the desired annotative text height (0.10" as described above).

UNITS for the destination file is Feet. When inserting the block, it looks like it is being scaled by a factor of 1/12. While that makes sense for the drawing of the traffic sign in the block given the UNITS setting, AutoCAD is also scaling the "Paper text height" property of the annotative text within the block to 0.10/12 = 0.0083, and it's causing the text to display much smaller than I want.

How do I get this to stop? I want the "Paper text height" value of the annotative text within the non-annotative block to just stay the same. I've tried changing the units of the block as a whole to Unitless, but that hasn't helped, either. I do not want to set UNITS of the destination file to Unitless, because in general I want it to scale inserted things to Feet.

Attached is the file with the block.

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

So after playing around with this block a little further, I've come to the following conclusions/workarounds:

• When a non-annotative block is scaled by ANY means, ALL of the block elements will scale, even those elements in the block that are annotative (e.g., annotative text). This includes scaling that happens via UNITS setting (when you insert the block), using the SCALE command, etc. In other words: If you scale a non-annotative block, say goodbye to your annotative text within it staying the desired size.
  • To get your annotative text to stay at the desired size, you can insert the block with UNITS in the destination file set to Unitless OR to the units of the block itself. However, if you do this, other aspects of your block may not scale properly when you insert them.
  • You can explode the block once inserting it and fix the text height/scales.

I'm disappointed that there is no elegant solution to this issue, but I suppose I understand why AutoCAD is behaving this way. Would be nice to be able to create a block where some elements obey the scale command and others do not, but alas.

If anyone else has other solutions, I'm all ears.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta