Did you mean: 

Adding a variable radius dependent on material thickeness

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
brandonstephan
1242 Views, 10 Replies

Adding a variable radius dependent on material thickeness

I am attempting to create bent sheet metal profile with hundreds of configurations. The dynamic block consists of a blocks properties table with a multi drop down system for ease of navigation. I am having difficulty adjusting the material thickness and the inside and outside radius of the material. I would like the material thickness to increase towards the inside of the profile and at the same time, have the inside and outside radius adjust based on the material thickness. Attached is the example block with the parameter table already filled in with the values I need. I was able to make the block adjust the width of the profile and the height of the profile.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: brandonstephan

Please post the block.

Message 3 of 11
brandonstephan
in reply to: Libbya

I must be missing something because when I attempt to upload a .DXF it does not seem to post after I select post. So I will check in the am if my post went through.

Message 4 of 11

Since I am not able to upload the physical file onto this forum, below is a link to a shared Dropbox folder with the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vkjk6dhutbln5k/Example.dxf?dl=0

Message 5 of 11
Libbya

There's more wrong with your approach than right with it, IMO.  No constraints are necessary or helpful.  It will be easier to make the block without any.  Deleting them all is step one.  It looks like your visibility states are just a way to create faux construction lines.  No need for construction lines, but if you need them in the future use actual construction lines instead of an additional visibility state.  Research construction lines if you are unaware of how to create them.  Be sure when using a basepoint parameter, that you place the base point parameter at 0,0 and adjust the other linework accordingly.  If there is some reason for the offset basepoint parameter, please let me know.  I basically start from scratch with the block aside from leaving the parameters and block properties in place (thankfully).From there I turn on grips for the various parameters (in order for you to get a visual on what does what) and add the appropriate actions.  With each parameter, I test the block, again so you can get a visual on what does what.  Orient the linear parameters so that the first point (base point) is the point that does not move (unless you change to base point mid).  You can, of course, turn off all the grips an use only the block properties table.  Bactionbarmode=1 is necessary to add actions to the selection sets of other actions.  If you move/stretch a linear parameter, then the basepoint of the parameter moves.  If a scale action is dependent, then it will scale based on the linear parameter base point.  If the scale action base type is independent, it will have its own independent base point appear and you can move that wherever you like.  If you have an action with an independent base type in the selection set of a stretch/move, the base point of the independent action will move accordingly.  I was unsure if the two radius parameters were the same distance (as you had drawn them) or if they were inner/outer.  I show inner/outer because only a single radius parameter would be needed on the block properties if they are the same distance.  See screencast.  Let me know if you have questions or get stuck.      

Message 6 of 11
brandonstephan

Thank you, this will help me greatly.

Message 7 of 11
DSebulsky

A dynamic sheet metal block sounds very useful, would you mind sending me a copy of the block? 

Thank you!

Message 8 of 11
VA-MikeS

Hello Libbya,

I have made a HSW column using your example screencast. I would like to add a second tiered (cascade) selection in the Block Properties Table I used for the material thickness. When you click the grip a list of available material thicknesses are displayed. I would like to be able to slide the cursor down to each value and have it open another set of selectable values (these would be the radius values) with the 'selected' value (value the cursor is hovering over or selected) as the minimum possible radius. For the life of me, I cannot remember how to build a cascading drop down with value sets (second level values) populated in response to the initial selection. Could you please take a look at my block and give me some pointers on how to work around or accomplish my goal?

Message 9 of 11
brandonstephan

Hello Libbya,

I appreciate your walk through. It was very helpful and informative. I have placed this project on hold for a few years and have finally decided to finish it. I was able to get the block to work with grips but once I attempt to select a set of parameters from my block table from the drop down menu the radius corners do not want to move with everything else. At the end of your video you are removing and adding parameters to various modify selection sets and I am not sure what that is doing but I think that is what is causing the radius not to move proportionally with the thickness change and web depth change. It does not help that the version of AutoCAD you were using (AutoCAD Architecture 2017) as I am now working in AutoCAD 2022 and it seems some of the operations do not behave in the same way. For example, adding a specific stretch or scale action to one of the action sets. you are able to select individual actions to be added to action sets but within AutoCAD 2022 the actions are attached to the individual parameters so I am not able to add an individual action to an action set. would you mind taking a look at my model and pointing out what I am missing? Model should be attached to this post.

Thank you

Message 10 of 11
ojuris

Hi!

To attach actions to other actions  BACTIONBARMODE = 0

try attached

Message 11 of 11
brandonstephan
in reply to: ojuris

Thank you so much! I was not aware of the BACTIONBARMODE command. This will make duplicating this for other products.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report