10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nikkilawsonPLKEN
1635 Views, 10 Replies

Add Lookup to Block Properties Table?

Hi all,

I hope you are all well!

I am having a bit of a difficult time trying to figure out if there is a way to add Lookup Parameters to a Block Properties Table. I am unsure if this is even possible, but it would be massively useful if it is!

So the general gist is. I have a lot of lookups controlling various things, throughout a very complex block. It would be very useful if I could have all of these lookups in a table, to remove the long pick list that I have created.

When I create a Block Properties Table, the Lookups are not displayed in the list of parameters.

Thank you in advance for your assistance with this! 🙂

Nik.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: nikkilawsonPLKEN

You cannot add lookups to a block properties table.  Moreover, any parameters that you add to both a lookup and the block properties table will not function.  Combining lookups with a block properties table is a complete dead end.  

Message 3 of 11
nikkilawsonPLKEN
in reply to: Libbya

Ah, that is unfortunate... It would have been very useful to have a table containing selected Lookups, to remove the clutter from my screen and for ease of modifying them all in one place.

Thank you for the very fast response though Libbya! I appreciate it, as always.

Message 4 of 11
hwalker

Why not put the parameters that are in your lookups in the block properties table and remove the lookups entirely?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: hwalker

That's certainly an option.  I usually prefer individual selections for each input using lookups vs. the nested pulldown menus of Block Properties Tables, but if that isn't an issue, then the BPT would work fine.  

Message 6 of 11

The reason I haven't done that is, because I cant figure out how to. Unfortunately, it isn't as straight forward as this lookup changes the width, this lookup changes the height, etc. I am using double lookups to control the visibility, scale and quantity of components all at the same time. Also, the idea of the lookup was that I am able to name each position of the parameter, opposed to having the options be entirely dimensional. It is a little more user friendly for my colleagues this way.

It isn't a huge issue if there isn't a way. It would have just been nice to remove this huge list from my drawings and replace it with a table.

nikkilawsonPLKEN_0-1667381096081.pngnikkilawsonPLKEN_1-1667381687178.png

I created the block to combine a list of 52 blocks, that are typically used alongside one another, into a singular block where you simply select the quantity for each component. But as you see, this long list isn't pleasant to look at and takes up a large portion of my screen. all of the text is on a layer that doesn't print, but it is a lot of clutter for while I am drawing. Plus the fact that I have had to label them all individually, due to Lookups not displaying the parameter name. This means that there are snap points everywhere and it can be irritating having to switch them on and off all the time.

These are all minor issues. But when you have put a lot of time and effort into a project, you want nothing more than to feel like it is 'right'. All of these small things bug me and they are all caused by that eyesore of a list.

Oh well, I guess I am stuck with it! Thank you all for your help anyway though. I appreciate it very much!

Nik.

Message 7 of 11
hwalker

I'm not too sure how block tables work. But see the attached drawing to see how they work

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 8 of 11
nikkilawsonPLKEN
in reply to: hwalker

Hmmmm... If that is the only way they can work then it is as I feared. My block would function correctly using the table. But, in order for it to function correctly, it would mean totally recreating most of the block.

I wish I knew of the existence of Block Properties Tables before I sunk so much time into this. It seems the properties table would be the more appropriate method. But, I am in too deep to go back and restart it all now. However, it is still an approach I can take in future. Thank you all again for the assistance!

Message 9 of 11
Libbya

Please post your block.

Message 10 of 11
nikkilawsonPLKEN

OK, block is attached. But let me apologise in advance... It is far from optimal, will be a nightmare to work with and an even bigger nightmare to figure out my unorthodox organisational skills!

I really do appreciate you wanting to help with this. But, I honestly do not expect you to do anything with my block. It would take a lot of time and effort on your part. I will COMPLETELY understand if you just open it, think "Nope!" and quickly close it again. I would not be offended in the least. I am already very grateful for the assistance you have all provided so far.

Also, I apologise if it totally breaks your PC for a moment. There have been a couple of people who couldn't even open it. Which I don't fully understand, as it works fine on our severely outdated machines.

Message 11 of 11
nikkilawsonPLKEN

Also, I should have added. You can completely ignore all of this part

nikkilawsonPLKEN_0-1667392085308.png

This is still a WIP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta