Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Copy & Paste Components Locked Together

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
Anonymous
36394 Views, 46 Replies

Fusion 360 Copy & Paste Components Locked Together

I'm trying to learn Fusion 360 and one thing really has me stumped.  I've created a component.  Then I right-clicked on the component in the object browser and selected "copy" and then "pasted" the object into the top level of the browser so that I now two identical components in the same level of the hierarchy.  However, I need to be able to move each object independently in order to position them.  When I use "move" on one object to try and position it, the other object also moves.  I can't figure out how to break this relationship.  I'm sure there's some simple thing I need to uncheck but its not jumping out at me.  Why would this be default behavior for a copy of a component?  It seems odd.

Thanks!

Ian

46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
O.Tan
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you please post a screenshot of the issue so we can understand better?

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 3 of 47
macmanpb

The position of each component can be different. I think they have no linking between them.  Have you rigged groups inside the component, or joints?

Message 4 of 47
joel.palioca

Hello and welcome to the forums,

Based on your description it sounds like during the selection for the move command we are attempting to move the body and not the component.

If you try the move command again in the scenario below you describe and choose the component selection option from the command instead of the body it should work the way I believe you expect it to.

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 2.01.17 PM.png

Cheers,

[Joel Palioca]
[Software QA Engineer]
Joel(dot)Palioca(at)autodesk(dot)com
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: joel.palioca

The problem seems to have gone away on its own but I suspect Joel was right and I had the wrong move option set and it was being applied by default.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 47
Anonymous

I have a similar problem and rather than starting a new thread I'll just post this here.

I've copied an unfinished component and moved it to the other side of a pair of caliper pads I'm building. They will be similar, but not identical or even mirror images. Now I can't refine one side without 360 automatically making the changes to the opposite side. Must I simply suck it up and build both sides separately?

Message 7 of 47
Oceanconcepts

When you paste the component, use Paste new:

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz020.png

If you have already pasted, you can select the component in the browser and select Make Independent:

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz021.png

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 8 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

I can't locate these two commands  - paste new or make independent.

Message 9 of 47
Oceanconcepts

Sorry, I missed this reply- hopefully you have figured it out, but most likely you are trying to copy/ paste a body rather than a component. The Paste New or Make Independent commands apply only to components. 

- Ron

Message 10 of 47
Anonymous

Simply copying and pasting bodies makes them act like components. If I copy and paste something without any other input, I would like them to be separate objects. When using components then I would expect things to be linked. It would be great to somehow unlink copy and pasted bodies.
Message 11 of 47
Oceanconcepts

Copy and paste bodies should give you two bodies that are independently editable and not linked. In what way are you not seeing that behavior?  How are you selecting the bodies- from the browser or from the drawing view? Double clicking in the drawing will select the component. If you can post a screenshot of what you see that might help. 

When pasting components you have the choice of their being linked or not.

- Ron

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous

Hi- Im having this same problem and can't find the 'make independent' command- or the 'paste new' for that matter.  Is that a function that is no longer in the program?

Message 13 of 47
Oceanconcepts

You need to copy the component first, deselect it, then right click in the workspace to get the marking menu. You should see options to Pase or Paste New. If you had used Paste and therefore had a linked component, you  could RMB in the browser on the component and select Make Independent. 

- Ron

Message 14 of 47
sertanV7D8A

Hi Ron,

I don't think you have answered the question of that person with the screenshot. I have the same problem. You assume we get the option when we right click on the components in the browser, but 'make indipendent' command is simply not there. I have 10 copy pasted components, and now I can't change their collors indipendently. 

Message 15 of 47
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: sertanV7D8A

You’re right- the answer is incomplete. The “Make Independent” command is not available in the timeline environment, only in direct modeling.  But the “Paste New” option is available in the timeline, and he said he did not see that either. Paste New is how you get independent components in the timeline environment.

The second part of my reply, about removing the link between already pasted components, would only apply in the direct modeling environment. 

In your case, you could roll back the timeline to before you pasted those components and use the paste new command. Then you would be able to edit each component independently.  

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz009.pngFusion 360ScreenSnapz010.png

- Ron

Message 16 of 47
Anonymous

I really think the "Make Independent" option has disappeared... No matter what I try it will NOT appear. I'm finding Fusion WAY more frustrating than Inventor ever was.

Edit; I just used paste new instead.

Message 17 of 47
Oceanconcepts

The "Make Independent" option will only appear if you are in Direct Modeling mode, not capturing history. If you are using the timeline / in a design capturing history you would need to use "Paste New", as you have found. Command differences between the modes can be confusing, but there is also a lot of power in having both direct and parametric environments available. 

- Ron

Message 18 of 47
Anonymous

I'm also having this same problem. No matter what I do I cannot see make independent for a component that I have copied from another component. As far as I can tell I am in direct modeling mode. Can you explain how to be certain which mode you are in?

This is a rather frustrating problem that should have a more simple solution than having to go back and paste as new.

Message 19 of 47
catot

The Timeline is at the bottom of the screen, where you will see all the sketches and other features you have used in the design.

But to be sure which mode you're in (maybe the Timeline has dissapeared visually from the screen, but is still active), right click on your top level component in the browser, and if the option "Do not capture design history" is available, it means you have the Timeline-mode activated.

Message 20 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: catot

Yes, I think I've tried every permutation of turning timeline ON/OFF, copying, paste new (multiple times) and still no joy.

I'm hoping the next update will fix this, and although I have immense patience have given up for now.

NOTE: I realise that due to the complexity of what's required in parametric modelling that this is a feature rather than a bug,

so thanks for sharing a great product Mr. Autodesk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report