Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF Units, from AutoCAD LT and across platforms

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
fernando.pereira4KJED
372 Views, 0 Replies

DWF Units, from AutoCAD LT and across platforms

Hi.

I didn't use DWFs or Design Review very often until a couple years ago. But I started figure it is very useful to open project drawings on a second screen for reference as I draft in AutoCAD, and also to have drawings on the A360 cloud, to view while I'm on site without a PC, and to share them with co-workers. So we started using A360 app on android phones and tablets on site, so everyone can view any project or construction drawing without having to carry printed versions of everything.

My issue is with units, and an apparent lack of consistency between platforms.

I work in meters (drawing units = 6, my templates are defined to use these as standard), and when plotting, I set the layout scale to 1000mm=1 unit, so that the scale lists work as expected in the layouts (since the paper size is in mm, and as my drawing is in meters, setting the layout scale to 1:1 and applying a 1:100 scale to a viewport would result in a representation of 1mm=100 meters, obviously not what I need).

I don't know if this is the best method for scaling drawings in meters, but it has worked efficiently for years for plotting in paper.

When plotting to dwf though, I get two different issues:

- Opening the resulting dwf in Design Review, it will measure as expected, but for some reason these drawings come out as unitless, even though I have my units variable set to 6; I can set Design Review to make meters the default unit for files without 2D units, since I always work in meters, but this isn't the expected behaviour.

- In the A360 app it's a different story altogether; The same file that shows as unitless but measures in meters in Design Review, will measure with a 1:1000 scale if I set the units to meters (so a 2,40m meters will show as 0,0024m), or if I set the units to mm, it will measure ok, but with the wrong units (2,40m will show as 2,40mm).

I've been setting the units to mm in A360, since it's easier to just mentally replace "mm" with "m" than to scale the measurements in meters (specially for areas), but this can lead to confusion, specially for other people consulting the A360 files.

Am I missing something? Is there a known solution for this? It's specially weird since the same drawing behaves differently in the desktop and mobile versions of the app.

attached:

1 - Print screen of Design Review on PC, drawing is unitless but measurements are ok (if I set units to meters it will display the same with a trailing "m"

2 - Screen capture of A360, with units set to meters

3 - Screen capture of A360, with units set to milimeters

Thanks in advance

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report