Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alt Gr shortcut

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
fernando.pereira4KJED
501 Views, 2 Replies

Alt Gr shortcut

I use Design Review frequently to consult drawings while drafting in AutoCAD LT or using other applications such as Excel. I have a 2 monitor setup so usually Design Review sit in one, while I work in the other screen.

Frequently, as I'm typing into another app (AutoCAD, Excel, Outlook…) and need a character that requires Alt Gr to type ("@", "€"...), the Alt Gr key is interpreted as the hot key for the ribbon in Design Review (even though Design Review is not my active window) and it stops me from typing, as it shifts from the app I'm in into Design Review and awaits a keypress for a function in DR's ribbon; As I often have several instances of DR open, I have to scroll though them all to find the one/ ones which reacted to the Alt Gr key, and press Esc to be able to type again.

This happens apparently at random, and is quite annoying as it stops me from typing whatever I am, go into Design Review, and back into the app I was previously in. It's time consuming and distracting. It has happened to me in 3 different PC's from 2 different companies, so I assume it's not a setup problem.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Is there a known solution? Can the Alt Gr hotkey be disabled in Design Review, since I never use that anyway?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

>>>...This happens apparently at random...<<<
That's called "loss of focus", Windows or your mouse actions triggered the wrong window to be active. It's a hot topic for 10+years now in the Windows community. There are lots of ideas out there, starting with your mouse driver's settings for anything that resembles a "make window active" setting needing to be turned off.
Try a Google Search.

FYI, even worse, there is no definitive cure for something that happens randomly for you (I was not able to repeat it here in about 5-minutes of testing like you stated for example).

Stay tunes for others to comment.
Message 3 of 3

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware of that loss of focus issue on Windows, since I've never experienced it in any other situation. It's also strange that it only happens when the Alt Gr key is pressed. I'm not using the mouse at those moments. Isn't there a way do disable the Alt Gr hotkey in Design Review?

And yes, it is apparently totally random. I could not make it happen when I was writing the post as well, but it happens frequently during my workflow.

I'll try to find more info on google and test for suggestions on my personal PC. If I find a solution I'll post it here.

Anyway, if more people experienced this and found a workaround, I'd be grateful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report