Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flowline with Lolipop cutter?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
TRIGOLICNC
2535 Views, 13 Replies

Flowline with Lolipop cutter?

Hi.....Is anyone aware of a "Flowline" toolpath that will allow an lollipop cutter to follow an internal contour. Specifically looking for deburring

of intersecting cross holes with elliptical moves?

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, do you have any videos of how to do this?

The flowline term came from my Mastercam, not sure if it is an industry standard or if it was just heir verbage?

Thanks in advance! ๐Ÿ™‚

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
LibertyMachine
in reply to: TRIGOLICNC

We don't quite have that yet. I know they are working on one toolpath called "Blend" that I believe will give you what you are looking for

3D Contour can do a small portion of what you are looking for, but it's far from ideal

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 14
Steinwerks

You can sort of work this with Trace as well, but again, very finicky and difficult, and it gets worse if you want more than one pass as well.

Blend should be coming out soon and will provide the easiest solution, as @LibertyMachine said.

15253203_1235410413179434_8548272713444098048_n

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 14
TRIGOLICNC
in reply to: Steinwerks

Yes. I would just need one path that will follow the contour to break the edge with enough intelligence to know where the contact point is on the lollipop tool. Is the blend option going to be in the "standard" version or Ultimate? What are you using in the screenshot you attached that has Blend & Flow? Is that HSMWorks or a beta Fusion? Thanks!

Message 5 of 14
Steinwerks

@TRIGOLICNC

As far as I know Blend will be released as a standard 3-axis toolpath to start with, so will be in Fusion standard. The screenshot is beta HSMWorks, there won't be a Flow coming to Fusion or Inventor HSM, Blend is its replacement  but obviously not ready for prime time yet.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 14
xander.luciano

Hello!

Psh, you guys with your fancy "blend" and "flow" toolpaths.

Yes you can do this! And with a 2D toolpath actually. Do a 2D trace operation, and set a negative axial offset.

Pasted image at 2016_12_15 01_10 AM.png

And the result (I forgot to add the lead in/out on the first image):

Pasted image at 2016_12_15 01_09 AM.png

Pasted image at 2016_12_15 01_21 AM.png

Hopefully that's the result you are looking for!

Best,
Xander Luciano

Xander Luciano
CAM Content Developer

If my post is helpful, press the Kudo button - If it resolves your issue, press Accept as Solution!
Quick Tips: When to resselect CAM geometry | Understanding Smoothing in CAM | Adaptive Facing | Online GCode Viewer
Message 7 of 14
Steinwerks
in reply to: xander.luciano

@xander.luciano

I did mention you can do it with Trace but it is NOT a good option. It takes a lot to get it right especially if you're using an undercut, and in the third image you wouldn't be able to deburr the whole edge in one go even though it seems like it should be a simple toolpath. There is no control point, no collision detection, nothing that makes what is a somewhat stressful cut (down inside a part) any more confident.

It's a workaround that in this case I do not feel should be necessary and a real solution is overdue. Smiley Indifferent

[video]

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 8 of 14
TRIGOLICNC

Hi Steinworks....As you mentioned before, the "blend" toolpath would be available in HSM & Fusion, but is currently in Beta. Who tests the Beta versions? Is it strictly Autodesk/Fusion employees within corporate or do some customers/end users, like myself, have access to beta test new features? Do you have a time frame on when it will be release to all users in either HSM or Fusion? Thanks!

Message 9 of 14
Steinwerks

You can access beta functionality but you'll want to be very careful about setting defaults while it's enabled (I had this happen when I was experimenting with probing beta functions and broke the normal functions by overriding the geometry defaults).

I will also say that beta Blend is in there, but almost impossible to get a toolpath from yet. So far it is still the most developed in HSMWorks, and still not very good.

To activate beta functions you need to enter text commands in the field at the bottom of the Fusion 360 window (you may need to expand it first):

cam.betamode /on

Obviously that turns it on. Replace '/on' with '/off' and it'll be turned off.

Again, be VERY cautious in betamode! Potentially everything could be in betamode when it's enabled so be prepared for some things to not work as you expect them to. Also incredibly important: betamode does NOT turn off if you exit the application! You MUST turn it off manually.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 10 of 14
TRIGOLICNC

Where can I find this "text box" to enter in the BETA turn on prompt? I can't seem to find it. Is it on the design screen? Preferences? My account?

Thanks,

Message 11 of 14
xander.luciano

Note: Beta Mode is currently Persistent and will need to be manually enabled or disabled.
In a future update this behavior will be changed and will automatically be disabled upon closing Fusion 360.

In other words, in the future, beta mode will need to be re-enabled every time you launch Fusion 360. 

This is to prevent users from enabling beta mode to test new features and then forgetting they have it enabled when they encounter a bug.

@Steinwerks 

saW6052

Xander Luciano
CAM Content Developer

If my post is helpful, press the Kudo button - If it resolves your issue, press Accept as Solution!
Quick Tips: When to resselect CAM geometry | Understanding Smoothing in CAM | Adaptive Facing | Online GCode Viewer
Message 12 of 14
TRIGOLICNC

Is a lollipop cutter not supported on "Blend" toolpath? I get an "INVALID TOOL TYPE FOR MILLING" error. If I select a regular ball endmill, I don't get the error. I am trying to deburr/undercut intersecting holes, a lollipop style cutter is needed. Or am I missing something? Thanks

Message 13 of 14
Steinwerks

@TRIGOLICNC

Blend is still in beta functionality so do not expect it to do what you want yet. I haven't tried it since the latest update but if it's not in full release, do not expect it to be fleshed out. There are many improvements it needs before more tool type support is added in.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 14 of 14
ChevelleNV

Hi Zander, 

I know this is an extremely old post on the forum and I would have messaged you directly but seems I can send you a PM. I am having a similar issue with no solution. I have tried your "Trace" solution for an internal chamfer on the part but am unable to get the lollipop to not gouge the part. I have tried adjusting the 'Axial Offset" and also played with the "Leads and Transitions" to get this working but with no success, hoping there is a newer solution to this issue that you might be able to enlighten the community as I am sure many are looking for a solution to this. 

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report