Tips From a CAD Manager: How To Get the Technology You Need

fy25-inventor-campaign-09.jpg

For many of us, CAD management isn’t something we trained for—it’s something we gravitate toward. Our interest in process, automation, and technology compels us to make better use of technology in our design and engineering process. This is where we add value; it’s where we shine. 

But what about those soft skills? Deploying technology successfully means changing how people work. How do we make the case for change? How do we gain alignment, even enthusiasm for a new process? In this article, Mike Thomas, Technology manager from Prairie Machine, shares with us what he’s learned when making the case for investments in technology. 

---

For me, all software purchases for the company go through me. I am the gatekeeper. I do not, however, approve all purchases but act as the influencer when I do not. The software cost is the typical factor that makes me defer the decision to upper management. But there are others, like the impact on the company, as in how many people are affected. Or it will be a long implementation cycle. If you research this topic online, you will find a lot of info on persuasion and how to persuade your boss. These are all nice, but I will save you the read. Everything boils down to this: I do not like to waste the time or money of the people who pay my salary. And guess what? They don’t either.

So, how do you convince me that we need to buy something? It is the same for when I need to convince the bosses to buy something. For me, it is the C-level management, but for you, it might be your manager, the IT manager, or the president. Regardless, here is what you need to do.

First, you need to answer why. The answer needs to be a two-minute elevator pitch. Explain the current pain, the issues with the process, and how the software will help resolve this pain.

Next is the so-what. So, what happens if we do not buy this software? Seems the same, but it is different. If I am intrigued by your elevator pitch, then this is where you can clearly define the problem you want to address. What is the opportunity for improvement? How will it be different from the current processes? How is it more efficient? Give me a real-world example or two. Tell me why we cannot go on with the current process(es). If it helps drive revenue, do not forget to mention that! If you cannot answer the why or the so-what yourself, then do not bother asking for it.

What else can you prepare for? Be prepared for questions like "Do we not already have something that does that?" or "Doesn’t software ABC do that”? Return on investments (ROIs) are nice, but they are tough to figure out on a lot of software purchases. I tend to not use ROIs. Software makers love them, but they are often based on feelings and intangibles. Remember, the software alone is not making the user more efficient, it is the process change that is. Test the current process. How long is it taking the user? If this will improve with the software, include this delta with your pitch. And be confident. You have gone through the effort of finding a solution to a problem. You feel it is the answer, so own it.

Want an alternative process? Start the decision-making process with collaboration. Get the decision-makers involved. Gather their feedback and work together on finding the right solution. Not only are you not surprising them with an unexpected request, but you are also building a sense of ownership. It makes the final decision that much easier.

We are attending an upcoming expo. We needed a method of managing the leads we will get from this show. This need grew to managing all leads, regardless of the source, and this led us to evaluating customer relationship management (CRM) platforms. We formed a team and developed a checklist of things we wanted to do. I then did the heavy lifting of researching, evaluating, and engaging with the vendors.

In the end, I made the decision on which platform, and the purchase was approved without much discussion. The main decision maker and those impacted by the process change were involved from the beginning. They had their say on what they wanted and, just as importantly, what they did not need. I was able to laser focus as I had the criteria. I will admit this process is easier for me than others. I have the trust of years of working with the decision-makers. I have also fine-tuned my response to the why. But this is also good news. This gets easier the more you do it. Especially as you develop the trust and respect of those making the decision.

---

Visit the Design and Engineering landing page on Autodesk University Online for more information on CAD management, case studies, and product tutorials for Inventor, Vault, Fusion, Fusion Manage, and AutoCAD. 

3 Comments