The AutoCAD right click menu - make it your own!

The AutoCAD right-click menu is a commonly overlooked tool in the CAD operator's tool chest. Default options as installed are very generic. Each flavor of AutoCAD has many commands specific to the application that would be handy to access quickly. Fast access to frequently used commands cuts drawing time considerably.

The right-click menu can easily be unique to each CAD operator and still keep all CAD operators on the same corporate standard. By keeping a measure for everyone yet allowing some customizing of each user's workstation, there is often less resistance to accepting said standard.

Out of the box, the right-click menu is functional to start drawing. However, to be efficient, users can tunnel into commonly used commands not easily accessible without jumping through hoops. Shown below is the default menu in AutoCAD.

RT_CLICK_base.jpg

The commands listed are functional for all AutoCAD variants. In my case, I am using AutoCAD electrical (ACADE) and prefer to stay in the "schematic" ribbon for my drawing session. There are, however, some basic commands and some "non-schematic" commands that I frequently use. Below is an example of my modified menu is shown below.

RT_CLICK2.jpg

I have added file management and basic CAD functionalities that I commonly use in my daily routine. You will notice that the list uses more screen real-estate. This is something to keep in mind when deciding what to add. If you are using a laptop, screen real-estate can be scarce.

I recommend that users work with the default menu for a week. Make a list of commands that are frequently used but exist natively in buried menus. Take this list and use it as a base for additions. By pre-planning what to add, your resulting menu will be efficiently designed.

To customize the right-click menu, open the CUI menu on the command line.

cui11.jpg

The interface can also be accessed from the "manage" tab.

cui111.jpg

There will be a new window open up containing many features. This window, at first, can be very intimidating to the new AutoCAD user. Follow the noted directory path below to get where you want to be.

RT_CLICK_cust1.jpg

Expanding the selected list, follow the path shown below.

RT_CLICK_CUI2.jpg

Adding a command to the list of options is quickly done. In the example below, I have selected the "plot" command to add.

RT_CLICK_CUI6.jpg

Select the plot command from the list after AutoCAD has populated the available command list (highlighted below).

RT_CLICK_CUI5.jpg

Left-click, drag the command shown into the window above and place it as desired in the list. A "+" sign will be shown with the command as you drag it into the window containing the expanded list.

My setup is shown below. Note the spacer "-" between the commands that have been added. This helps to select a command from the list. These spacers will also add to the overall length of the window!

cui1111.jpg

When finished customizing your menu, select "ok" and close the window. This list can be revised quickly in the future as users require.

The changes should be saved to a specific workspace to capture all user preferences. Select the gear icon from the lower window icons. Select the option shown. Create a logical name for your custom workspace. By saving the workspace with a unique name, the custom changes and others made in the future will be preserved when AutoCAD is shut down.

A custom workspace can be set up for multiple users on a single machine to allow users to fine-tune things as they prefer. As an ACADE user, I try to stay out of the "home" tab; however, there are commands that I use located there (dimensioning and text editing tasks). I have added the toolbars for these functions to the home screen, eliminating the need to change tabs frequently. A custom workspace is required to keep these changes.

4 Comments