Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Code Library

Survey Code Library

TLDR: Let’s remove the Description Keys and Figure Prefix Database in place of a new Survey Code Library. It will do everything the other 2 features do, and more. All this for a more seamless integration between the field and the office and to attempt to limit the number of codes the surveyor needs to use. Plus, from a Civil 3D user's perspective, this will make it far easier to manage these codes.

The attached Word doc outlines my idea better than the simple formatting here.

5 Comments
gerry.james
Participant

This is definitely a great idea and needs to be seriously considered.  Managing survey codes in multiple places is not only cumbersome but adds significant risk to survey projects.

Great idea Matt

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for your idea. The development team will review the idea while customers continue to add feedback and vote on it.

rl_jackson
Mentor

This is a great idea!!!
Leica also uses similar functionality in their office software, Infinity. I like how you included the attribute field, as that has been a real struggle using FDOT coding methods where they have multiple attribute fields with data similar to TBC where Point or Line features are defined and other attributes (at least based on FDOT coding) that determine if it’s part of the surface or not. Currently the only method I’ve come across for attributes is to use UDP or once points are in the drawing use Property Data Sets, but then the data is not a part of the point or database and is difficult to transfer from drawing to drawing.

Some further enhancements include:
Easier integration of the Survey Point Group, making it like drawing Point Groups vs. the current checking the point method. This would give us the ability to create groups in the SDB that would auto-populate the data (pre-defined groups) just like the drawing (or better yet link the two together).

Having the ability to Filter points like Excel would also come in handy, this is a function that the Survey Query currently does, but it would be beneficial to be able to do this to the entire SDB, making edits easy and sorting the data a dream.

Finally, integration of Property Set Data into the SDB/survey point, so that property sets/attributes could be defined in the SDB for population in the drawing thereby keep the data in the database with exposure to point labels.

Include reference text as an option for Point Labels, so that we can reference alignments or other objects (even other points).

I bring all of this as most of the projects I’m working on contain 5k+ points and I’m currently trying to manage a project with 69k+. (Perhaps I should make this my own Idea submission)

mathewkol
Advisor

@rl_jackson excellent additions. I just wish we had more votes.

MattKolbergSolidCAD
Participant

I'm going to respond to my own wish item. Civil 3D's SHP Import/Export tool does do a lot of this, albeit in a different way. It's not "officially" part of Civil 3D's repertoire, however as it is still an extension which needs to be downloaded and installed...and it's usually not available for a while after the latest version of Civil 3D is released in the spring.

Here's waiting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report