Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Back Only New/Changed Civil 3D objects to GIS

Save Back Only New/Changed Civil 3D objects to GIS

Currently the Civil 3D Connector (_ARCGISCONNECTOR) saves back all entities in a given feature regardless whether it changed or not. This effectively overwrites all the data in GIS with every save back. It would be far more useful if it only sync'd back new and edited objects. This would also allow multiple users to write to the same layer without overwriting each other.

ESRI's ArcGIS connector for AutoCAD syncs data back to GIS for only new/edited objects. The limitation with that connector is that it does not recognize civil 3D objects. 

23 Comments
TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for your idea. The development team will review the idea while customers continue to add feedback and vote on it.

qday9NH6R
Explorer

@greg.duffy thanks for posting this request. What you are asking for is branch versioning and should be available through ESRI Rest API. I have a feature request with AutoDesk for this exact request. Let's get some traction on this. 

osohailCG67B
Community Visitor

Great idea, this would save me so much time not having to wait on other teams.

rchurchCNEQ4
Community Visitor

This would save me so much time not having to wait for GIS team to make me an edit.

nhaddenUABPK
Community Visitor

Time saver!  This way I don't have to wait on my GIS team to make revisions.

jgiovanni
Community Visitor

This would be a huge time saver!!

cwyattATMP9
Community Visitor

Thank you, This would save me SO much time not having to wait for GIS team to make me an edit! This would help so much

twilliamsUGNEQ
Community Visitor

This would save so much time not having to wait for the GIS team to edit it

awilliston
Community Visitor

This would save me SO much time not having to wait for GIS team to make me an edit! Thank you!

sadouvry
Community Visitor

This would save me so much time not having to wait for GIS team to make me an edit.

pvalentiX5VTQ
Community Visitor

This would save so much time not having to wait for the GIS team to make updates!

kmillsG7QBX
Community Visitor

It would help not having to wait for GIS team to make me an edit.

hlawrenceDMA2F
Community Visitor

Would be GREAT to have this. Will be much more efficient to not need to wait for the GIS Team to make edits.

ljacksonYLNZH
Community Visitor

This is so exciting and will save me loads of time!

kharter
Community Visitor

Using and managing our data within a GIS database is integral in daily workflows.  We use the GIS database to hand off data between groups in our organization.  Right now, we deal with numerous inefficiencies with multiple hand-offs and using outdated software to get data into the GIS database.  We have used SDE in past, which worked great because we could version and update the GIS database without having to go through our GIS team.  SDE is not supported in current versions of Civil 3D.  We've been stuck in limbo for at least a year, trying to resolve this issue with Autodesk and Esri.  It has kept us from being able upgrade to the current version of Civil 3D and the version we've been using is no longer supported by Autodesk.

Having the capability to version and edit in ArcGIS Connector with Civil 3D would greatly improve our internal process and provide much need efficiencies.

tjandegianUUQ34
Community Visitor

Excellent suggestion @greg.duffy. In my organization, it's critical that our data is managed in SQL databases. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a lot of options which support database edits in a multiuser environment. Until there’s a viable solution, we are stuck using an antiquated system and old Autodesk products.

I tested the ArcGIS Online Connector in CAD 2024, and it looks like a promising solution. Unfortunately, we can’t adopt it unless there are versioning capabilities. There does appear to be a versioning option! but it’s greyed out ☹️.

Autodesk, please add support for Branch Versioning.

mskelskeyN2JN5
Community Visitor

This looks like a time saver for me and our GIS department. It will save me time with not having to check multiple entries and/or waiting for edits

djohnstonASS4J
Community Visitor

Huge time saver

rhomesley
Community Visitor

This would be great. It would save so much time not having to wait for the GIS team to edit it.

cpetersen1
Community Visitor

I can't wait to see this in action, the amount of time this will save for our whole team is huge.  This will help with the efficiencies we are constantly striving for.  Thanks AutoDesk for the efforts in making this possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report