Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Point cloud to Civil 3D Section View

Project Point cloud to Civil 3D Section View

Hi,

With more and more projects using drone or laser surveying, it would be great to project a point cloud on section views. We don’t always need only the surface from a point cloud but rather the surface features as well (i.e. existing bridges, buildings and vegetation heights).

I realize AutoCAD can attempt to create a point cloud section, but the workflow is disconnected from our typical Civil 3D section views.

Thank you,

7 Comments
TerryDotson
Mentor

Having recently done some work in this area, it's not as simple as it might appear.  First the data needs to be classified into the standard Lidar classes.  From what I've seen, drones can pick up color but not properly classify the data, and those colors can vary so significantly at slightly different angles it's really hard to classify by color.

Then of course is the absence of data.  Say for example a building roof is picked up and put in  the proper location but without ground points that happen to be at the edge of the walls where they meet the ground, there is nothing to force the sectional figure back to the ground.  You end up with a floating (near horizontal) plane (the roof) and no | | wall drops.

capture.png

samir_rezk
Advisor

@TerryDotson 

I was thinking more along the line of projecting a slice of points (granted the points are contained together) on the section view. The screen shot you have shows lines that are generated from the points, hence I see the reason for classification! But I propose projecting points as they are, wherever they are!

TerryDotson
Mentor

Even though Lidar is dense, there is the possibility that no points lie on the actual sample line, you have to have a corridor width parameter and project those points to the line.  Too narrow a parameter and you don't get enough points for consideration, too wide and you end up with points that maybe should not have been considered, causing a jagged path that would otherwise have been straight.

We're also working at trying to generate overhangs in sections, which is something that isn't possible in sections from TinSurfaces.  Definitely presents some obstacles.

nicolasmenu
Advocate

Check this out, it is exactly what we need... (to add to profiles and sections)

http://www.wild-lights.com/archeodev/wp18/index.html

Go to the Tools/measurement, use the profile tool to draw it, then click on "Show 2D profile"...

No need to make something much more fancy.

Keep it simple 😉

This is an open source project #potree, so you can even see how it s done 🙂

https://github.com/potree/potree

emoreno83
Advocate

That's exactly what I need also! It's is impossible to make a surface of evrey point cloud in order to project in a section view...

Goran_Kingkong
Advocate

id like to project a point cloud to a profile view, is it possible? similar to whats shown in attached picture

Goran_Kingkong_0-1683640085455.png

nmenuT7SNE
Participant

I am not aware Autodesk has done anything like this since 2021.

This is a basic and evident request, not sure what they dont hear us.

Waiting for a real solution, you can always code something like this...

Not perfect, but better than nothing...

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/nmenu_pointclouds-civil3d-autolisp-activity-6945419503832834049-FYhP?...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report