Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Progress status bar for long operations - I'm sick of "not responding"

Progress status bar for long operations - I'm sick of "not responding"

"Not Responding" in task manager is a poor substitute for a status bar on long operations.

So many times, I've killed the processes (probably unnecessarily) in frustration as there is no indication within the program as to whether Civil3D is actually doing anything. See http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/how-do-you-know-when-civil3d-is-completely-de...

Even background tasks such as point cloud processing could benefit from some rudimentary status/progress bar, but most of all we need some indication that it's "worth hanging in there".

- Mick

6 Comments
wim_de_winter
Advocate
rkmcswain
Mentor
maurizio.cerri
Observer

ok for the status bar ( as in civil 3d 2017)

but will be better if includes a sort of counter 1 of 3000 ..... 2 of 3000 etc...

thanks

Maurizio

chris_brenton
Enthusiast

Add a threshold that if a task is calculated to be longer than 5 minutes prompt user if they want to proceed.  Autodesk added this to the hatch command.  I really like the progress bar idea.

Anonymous
Not applicable
oops I just made a post similar to this, but with the added "stop command" button underneath
balenger.c
Participant

in a similar vein, I wonder why each drawing (tab) isn't in its own (shell) so that it can be closed or killed without causing the program to crash.  while having a progress bar would be great, and a stop command would be even better.  these would probably require the command line to be independent of any drawing an instead present at the start menu. I think this would really improve the control the user has over the program and their production media, and probably cut down on the number of error / crash reports sent to autodesk - seems like a win /win... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report