Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Structure Rim Elevation Warning

Pipe Network Structure Rim Elevation Warning

To make Civil 3D easier to understand and identify issues, Pipe Network Structures should have a warning symbol on them when the structure RIM elevation is set to match the surface elevation and the connected pipe(s) drive that elevation up.

In the screenshot below, you can see the surface elevation at the insertion point and that the structure has a reference surface assigned. However, the rim elevation is higher than the surface elevation. This is because I have a 24" pipe connected to the structure and per the structure definition with the pipe clearance requirement, it's driving the actual rim elevation up.

Only solution here is to modify the grading, lower the pipe, or change the pipe size. Regardless, a warning symbol would be helpful to identify the cause.

2020-10-23.png

7 Comments
jeffl
Advocate

I've experienced this as well and wonder have you tried the simple fix.  Just click on true in the automatic surface adjustment, change to false and then change back to true.  Most times that has fixed the rim elevation for me.

stevenh0616
Collaborator

Hey Jeff, yea the issue here is that the pipe is up into the cone of the structure and on this particular structure there's a clearance value from top of pipe to rim - so if you push the invert up, the structure RIM will will go above the surface it's linked to - with no warning from Civil 3D.

Regarding your simple fix of switching the automatic surface adjustment... if you're having to do that, it either your forcing it to reread from the Part Catalog to rebuild it's structure definition or there some kind of defect here.... kind of defeats the purpose it it's supposed to automatically adjust to the surface.

Side note on this, I did not have the Civil3D warning palette turned on. It's possible there could be a warning there. Personally, I'd rather see a gliph next to the structure in the model telling me there's an issue vs a palette full of warning messages.

Elmoataz.Bellah.Salem
Collaborator

Great

MMcCall402
Mentor

Idea:  Add a text or block component to the structure label style to indicate when a structure rim is different than the surface elevation.  Control the size of this component with an expression.  If the surface elevation equals the rim elevation then the component gets a size of 0 and doesn't appear.

Example: IF({Surface Elevation At Insertion Point}={Insertion Rim Elevation},0,0.1)

stevenh0616
Collaborator

@MMcCall402, that's a great idea for a fix! I like it - just would have to be in every structure label style to make it clear. I still feel like a warning within would be beneficial in a future implementation

Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be nice, along with a warning when the clearance between the top of the box/top of pipe falls below a minimum user stated difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stevenh0616 tellpizzahut wrote:

To make Civil 3D easier to understand and identify issues, Pipe Network Structures should have a warning symbol on them when the structure RIM elevation is set to match the surface elevation and the connected pipe(s) drive that elevation up.

In the screenshot below, you can see the surface elevation at the insertion point and that the structure has a reference surface assigned. However, the rim elevation is higher than the surface elevation. This is because I have a 24" pipe connected to the structure and per the structure definition with the pipe clearance requirement, it's driving the actual rim elevation up.

Only solution here is to modify the grading, lower the pipe, or change the pipe size. Regardless, a warning symbol would be helpful to identify the cause.

2020-10-23.png

Excellent tutorial and very well explained!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report