Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move viewport to second monitor

move viewport to second monitor

Drag a viewport in the current drawing to a second monitor

5 Comments
doni49
Mentor

I used MicroStation for about 15 years (at a former employer, I used MS probably 90% of the time and AutoCad for the other 10%).  MS allowed for 8 separate, independent views.  Each view could be dragged & resized separately from all the others.  That is one thing from my MicroStation days that I really miss.

This request could be handled similarly to the request to make an Object Viewer that is non-modal.  That request has been marked as accepted -- presumably, this'll appear in a near-future release.

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Thank you for the idea. To @doni49 's point, we are researching a modeless Object Viewer that could be dragged to another monitor (with dramatically better performance and functionality than the existing Object Viewer). Would that resolve this issue, or are you asking for a fully editable viewport on a second monitor?

HEBC3D
Contributor

If I can tell from watching others work in MS/ORD, they'd want fully editable viewport on the 2nd monitor. Similar to how we can drag out another file to another window and monitor, just within the same file you're working in. I believe this then pushes it to be an AutoCAD feature rather than a C3D feature.

idoQEYMP
Advocate

I agree with @HEBC3D , it's really an AutoCAD thing. I just think of the benefit in Civil3d environment when using features like the station tracker or the split view when viewing the section editor. Better utilization of a dual monitor setup when working on a single drawing.

doni49
Mentor

@TimYarris: I would really like the option to use multiple views like this too.  I currently often use the VPORTS command to have one view that is my plan view, another that is a profile view and another that is a 3d rendering.  This makes it easier to see how the changes I'm making in one view effect the 3d model.  Since others open my files not needing to do the 3d modeling, they tend to revert to a SINGLE VP then when I need back in to do my work, I need to set them all up again.  If there were multiple views that could be opened and closed at will, I could set it up the way I wanted and other users could close the views they're not using -- when I get back in the file, I could reopen the views without needing to reset them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report