Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve OffsetFeature command.

Improve OffsetFeature command.

The "Creating a Stepped Offset" for a feature line, should be dynamic.

The result feature line should be dynamic according to the new place of the mean feature line. Perhaps like the behaviour of the corridor feature lines which are in automatic status but we can break the dynamic link.

25 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be extremely useful when grading if when using Adjacent Elevations by Reference, after selection of the referenced object, when selecting the object to edit, there would be an option to create a dynamic link to that referenced feature line.

troma
Mentor

This can be accomplished by using a grading instead of the stepped offset command. Grade to distance or relative elevation.

Now, we just need to post an idea that gradings should actually work without crashing the program!

fcernst
Mentor

@troma 

Who wants to go through the setup and then the management of a grading just to do this?

His idea is direct, and much, much less fatiguing to the User.

troma
Mentor

@fcernst Yes, it's a good one. Just pointing out existing possiblities for any who didn't know.

Also, I feel a similarity between this idea and this other one. They are not the same idea, but could work in the same way in that a dynamic link is set up between two featurelines without all the headaches of a grading. In one case the second featureline is created (stepped offset) and in the other both featurelines are existing in the drawing prior to them being linked. In both cases you end up with a dynamic link beween two featurelines.

The other difference between these ideas is the question of horizontal alignment. @joantopo did you envision the second featureline automatically moving horizontally if the first one is moved or if you add a PI to the first one? What if you move or edit the second featureline, should the first one then automatically update? Or would you prefer that the second featureline be locked for editing until you break the dynamic link?

I propose that both featurelines are still editable by the user. If I edit the elevations of A, then B updates. If I edit B, then A updates. There would need to be some visual clue that there is a dynamic link, to warn the user.

troma
Mentor

I feel a similarity between this idea and this other one. They are not the same idea, but could work in the same way in that a dynamic link is set up between two featurelines without all the headaches of a grading.

joantopo
Mentor

I think that is not necessary to be bi-directional. In that case it would be too confusing.

I prefer that the derived(nested) feature line was dynamic link and then, if you want, break that dynamic link if you want to edit that feature line on your own.

However, it would be interesting we can recover (convert) the feature line to a dynamic link again.

doni49
Mentor

I agree whole heartedly with this.  I'll offer just one example in which I'd find it really useful.

I draw the face of my curb (at the pavement elevation).  Then I use the stepped offset to create the TOP of the curb face.  Then I do it again to create the back of curb.

This becomes a major PITA when the elevation of the curb/pavement changes.  I would use a grading object to do this if they weren't so easily corrupted.

But if a Stepped Offset were to allow the new featureline to be dynamic, I think this would be WHOLE LOT better than using a grading object.

jmayo-EE
Mentor

Combining both ideas how about a dynamic projection from a feature line without all the clicking and instability required/expected for a grading. One base Fline, one resulting line.

Does anyone else miss the Create Daylight command from DCA, Softdesk and LDD? This could do that as well.

rjairath
Enthusiast

when I do an offset from feature line to a desired distance at slope, I would like the offset feature line to update if the parent feature line has its elevation updated or end points moved.

doni49
Mentor
Anonymous
Not applicable

plus there is always the grading tools with grading objects.

rjairath
Enthusiast

I do use grading tool as much as I can,

but since grading tool is not consistent and prone to many crashes.. we use feature lines.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is a great idea, but the timing isn’t quite right for development consideration in the near term. As such, it is being put on the back burner to be re-visited at a later date. Please continue to comment and add your support.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

gros33
Advocate

yes please

tmachado
Advisor

it will be even better if you could link different featurelines, this will allow you to grade much faster creating vertical and horizontal dependence no matter what the shape of the featureline is, so you only need to modify the elevation of one to change all of them

Stuart.BartonHR7ZW
Community Visitor

Still looking for this!

rjairath
Enthusiast

if you are doing something like that then I would recommend using a corridor. under generic subassemblies there a variety of tools available to do just that

pieter_haeck
Advocate

@TimYarrisThis one is often asked for during trainings. Could be a user-friendly alternative for corridors, in situations where the use of corridors could be overkill. Auto-Feature Lines have this possibility when 'attached' to Alignments/Corridors, so it's just a variation on this, where they are attached on a 'parent feature line'.

Your idea on this?

TimYarris
Autodesk

@pieter_haeck , this idea is closely related to a number of other grading/feature line tools we have under evaluation. 

TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report