Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gravity Pipe Networks - additional settings / options

Gravity Pipe Networks - additional settings / options

User options for managing multiple pipe network types on projects.

We currently rely on workarounds & 3rd party app's to set the Object Layers for the common Pipe Networks in our workflow.

(Neither of which provide any help for Command / Feature Settings).

This is done every time a different Pipe Network Type is created and then again when Data Referencing them into plan sheets in many cases.

It's very common to have 6 or more Pipe Networks, using different layer structures, per network in a drawing.

P WM    C-WATR-PIPE etc.

EX WM  V-WATR-PIPE etc.

P SAN   C-SSWR-PIPE etc.

EX SAN V-SSWR-PIPE etc.

P STM    C-STRM-PIPE etc.

EX STM  V-STRM-PIPE etc.

Additionally the "Feature Settings" and "Command Settings" must be constantly changed due to Civil 3D only recognizing a single Pipe Network Settings Hierarchy at a time.
Examples of this are default pipe label styles, structure label styles and many others.

It would be nice to see the Pipe Network Feature Settings hierarchy able to be used and SAVED for multiple Pipe Networks.

It is the norm in our industry to have several Pipe Network types on projects.

Could be something like "Pipe Networks Feature Setting Groups" where the user would simply Create and save a "Feature Settings Group" or arbitrary Pipe Network names that would manage them. These could then be set as defaults once per your standards in the dwt.

6 Comments
jmayo-EE
Mentor

I'm not really sure what you are looking for here Jay.

Why do you need a 3rd pary app to control layers? Can't you get this from ambient settings upon object creation?

What other control are you looking for? What feature and control settings?

Jay_B
Mentor

John,

"Why do you need a 3rd pary app to control layers? Can't you get this from ambient settings upon object creation?"

Yes I can, ootb, there are 2 options I'm aware of:

Navigate to EDITDRAWINGSETTINGS > Object Layers >and set the layer for:

• Pipe > C-SSWR-PIPE
  • Pipe Network Section > C-SSWR-PROF
  • Pipe-Labeling > SSWR-ANNO
  • Pipe or Structure Profile > C-SSWR-PROF

(Changes are made every time a pipe network type changes).

Create extra templates which contain the Object Layers for various pipe network types and use a workaround to force these object layers to be populated in dwg settings. (quicker than option 1 but far slower than 3rd party solution of exporting an xml of a set of Object Layers and importing those xml files as PN's are createted.

What other control are you looking for? What feature and control settings?

Basically copies of the feature and command settings found under gravity pipe networks:

Because C3D only recognizes 1 single PN at a time (whether talking object layers or feature & command settings), it would be nice to have a template that could manage this for us.

An example of this is Annotation of Pipes & Structures with the current behavior puts the onus on the user to specify the correct pipe label and structure label styles in dwg's. Civil 3d defaults to what's set on Settings tab every time so eliminating potential for human error and minimizing a zillion clicks would be very helpful.

In our workflow we have on average of 6 or more pipe network types on a project and we find the current restrictions very cumbersome and non- cad standard friendly.

jmayo-EE
Mentor

Ok I think I see where your going here.

Due note that many C3D  labels, including pipe network labels get default values from the AddLabels dialog and this dialog pushes the last used label style to the command settings. Not ideal but we set up our addlabels dialog in the template with the most used for every catagory and ask users to open the dialog to change default label styles.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI FOLKS

Let me see if I can explain what I would like to do with the network piping.

I would like to be able to create New & Existing styles for Sewer, water, gas, storm...ect. and save those setting/styles to a template.

Then when I start a new project all I have to do is pick, let's say, the existing sewer and have everything pre-set, with the exception of the pipe/fitting size.

This would be similar to creating various point groups, label styles, parcel sites...ect.

BrianHailey
Mentor

A couple possible workarounds in the meantime.

1. Use the layer prefix. When creating an existing storm sewer, call it "C-STRM". In the object layers, use a suffix modifier of "*-" (no quotes). In the object layers settings, set the layer for your pipes to be "PIPE". When you create the pipes they will be on a layer C-STRM-PIPE. When you create the existing storm sewer, use the name "V-STRM". When creating the proposed sanitary, use the name "C-SSWR", etc. Draw back to this is the network name can't be changed. If you change the name of the network, it changes the name of the layer the new entities will go on.

2. Create template networks in your template. In your template, create networks for existing storm, existing san, proposed storm, proposed san, etc. Set up the layers for each network the way you want them. When you create the new drawing, the networks will already be in the drawing so, instead of creating a new network, just edit the ones that are already in the drawing. Draw back to this is you must remember to set the reference alignment and surface as they won't be set when you create the network.

Just a couple of thoughts while you wait for your idea to be implemented.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is a great idea, but the timing isn’t quite right for development consideration in the near term. As such, it is being put on the back burner to be re-visited at a later date. Please continue to comment and add your support.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report