Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit a Feature Line Like a Polyline

Edit a Feature Line Like a Polyline

I wish I could edit a feature line like a polyline.  Being able to hover my cursor over a grip and have options for Add Vertex, Remove Vertex, Convert to Line, etc. would be really helpful and contribute to a more consistent feel to C3D.

23 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could the feature line include the option to change between line and arc when clicking on a vertex, like how polylines do. I have had a few situations where I have needed to switch between an arc and a line, I am having to recreate parts and then join them together.

Tags (1)
joantopo
Mentor

Where is the midpoint grid in the feature lines like polylines?

We cannot a segment of a feature line with offset.

Moreover, I would like to type the offset value by prompt while I dragging the mid-point grid.

Status changed to: Gathering Support

Very similar to: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/edit-a-feature-line-like-a-polyline/idi-p...

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

doni49
Mentor

@peterfunkautodesk,

Clicking on the link gives a page telling me "invlaid paramters in url".

Extra space in the URL. Try this one:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/edit-a-feature-line-like-a-polyline/idi-p...

We're working on a tool that will let me link the duplicates together so the kudo's and the comments combine. Until that point, we're doing it manually outside of IdeaStation.

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

Status changed to: Gathering Support

Similar to:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/edit-a-feature-line-like-a-polyline/idi-p...

Regards,

Peter Funk
Sr Product Manager
Civil 3D
Autodesk, Inc.

fcernst
Mentor

Give Feature Lines the ability to quickly Add or Delete their PI's through their Grips like Polylines.

Capture.JPG

joantopo
Mentor

and "mid point" grip to move the segment.

BlackBox_
Advisor
... Not to mention change the radius without a dialog (using the mid point grip)?

Sent from my iPhone
Jeff_M
Consultant
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea, but I really do not see how it would be possible to do this since we are dealing with 3D lines, your not able to edit the 3D Polylines as you can a 2D Polyline so how can you make a feature line do what a 2D Polyline will do?

But it would be great if you could place some sort of dialog box say on an arc grip point that will allow you to edit the radius easier, (show the existing radius as well), or if you could do the same with hover over "pop up" like when you hover over lines now you get the pop up dialog box that displays what your hovering over, make it editable as well as showing the grades.

Just might speed up the editing of a feature line.

fcernst
Mentor

Many times we need to quickly bump the elevation by a certain differential. So I would add this to this request by being able to do this through dynamic input when we are interacting with the grip:

• +.23 raises the levation 0.23'
  • -.23 lowers the elevation 0.23'
  • 5280.00 sets the elevation at 5280.00'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definetly a grip on the mid point of a featureline arc to change the radius when needed. The current radius editor is painful to use sometimes and I end up cutting out the featureline arc, drawing a new one and joining the featurelines together.

Status changed to: Future Consideration

This is a great idea, but the timing isn’t quite right for development consideration in the near term. As such, it is being put on the back burner to be re-visited at a later date. Please continue to comment and add your support.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Sr. Product Manager

Autodesk, Inc.

Kempostudent3
Advocate

I was just about to post basically this same idea.  I'd like to be able to edit feature lines like polylines, as others have said. 

Or if that isn't possible, at least being able to add and delete arc or line segments like you can with an alignment. 

It's very annoying when you have a feature line with a combination of arcs and tangent lines which then needs to be revised to remove the tangent lines.  You end up having to break and rejoin the featureline or start over. 

It is also annoying when you want to add another segment to the end of a feature line and you either create a new feature line to then join to the original, or shift the end point and add a new intermediate.

TerryDotson
Mentor

While you're at it, finish the FeatureLine API that was started with 2016 SP2.  Still cannot change, add, or remove vertices in code!

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like this died down, but I would love this immensely for parcels. Parcels are a fantastic tool for platting but what could take me a couple hours if the arcs and lines behaved like polylines, I'm having to budget over a week of time on projects that change between phases. The best solutions would be to add span and area labels for closed polylines, or adding additional geometry edit tools to parcels. 

Thank you!

gherrmanRQ549
Advocate

5 years later and I guess the timing still isn't quite right...

LabradorGuy
Participant

There should be a way to move the arc of a featureline just as you would a polyline.  How this is not an option is beyond me.  

shortbrandon
Advocate

It's not quite as easy as with a polyline, but are you aware of this? It's in the contextual ribbon when you select a feature line.

shortbrandon_0-1651081834121.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report