Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Core optimization (AutoCAD, Civil3D and Map3D)

Core optimization (AutoCAD, Civil3D and Map3D)

Hello Autodesk workforce,

I'm a long time user of many products you've release (for almost 21 years now for AutoCAD):

AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Revit, Map 3D, Infraworks, Recap, Inventor, Fusion.

I've also worked with MicroStation, ArcGIS, QGis, etc.

All in a context of land surveying, construction surveying, civil engineering and tech hobbyist.

I Really love your products!

As years pass , quantity of data needed to be handled growth exponentially over time.

You should really put effort on improving performance for handling large amount of data like Civil3D Points, large surface, Point-Cloud, large Corridor, big pipe network.

Infraworks aside, ESRI ArcGIS Desktop & Pro, Bentley products like MicroStation & OpenRoads, QGis, etc. can handle much more data than your products without sacrifiying performance.

Please, put the right resources on the right place to optimize and improve performance.

You have such great product line, keep it right and awesome !

Christian A.

Quebec, Canada

10 Comments
TimYarris
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi @cauger2k10 .

Thanks for the feedback -- and thanks especially for your kind words about our products. 

We're in a multiple year effort to make Civil 3D more performant. The past several releases (starting with Civil 3D 2022.1), we've made incremental improvements on operations like file>open, pan/zoom, sample line editing, corridor rebuilds, etc. Our next focus is on large model performance. If you would be interested in helping validate our plans and eventually doing some testing, I can put you in touch with the teams who are responsible for enhancing performance in Civil 3D.

Thanks again for your idea.

cauger2k10
Contributor

Hello @TimYarris ,

It would be my pleasure if I'm able to help.

Thanks and best regards,

Christian A.

Quebec, Canada

TimYarris
Autodesk

Thanks for your willingness to provide feedback, @cauger2k10 . I shared this post with my team and they'll reach out to you.

balenger.c
Participant

^Well said.  I have done enough master plans and other large scale work to know how difficult it is to do some of this analysis with the current tools.  

I would be happy to help test if it leads to actual performance improvements.  I would like to see improvements in surface editing and corridor editing.  Currently it is very difficult to handle a several mile long road without partitioning.  

FrankHuang
Autodesk

@cauger2k10 @balenger.c   

we are doing research on Civil 3D performance. Are you guys available for a talk in the next one or two weeks? 

Thanks

Frank Huang

Civil 3D Product Owner -Performance. 

cauger2k10
Contributor

@FrankHuang  It's possible, thx !

FrankHuang
Autodesk

@cauger2k10 seems I can't send a private message to you. 

could you please send a private message with your contact info? thus we can set up a meeting for further disucssion. 

balenger.c
Participant

Hi, thanks for reaching out, you can find me at cbalenger4@gmail.com

balenger.c
Participant

Cbalenger4@gmail.com is my personal email address. balenger.c@tandh.com is for work. @FrankHuang 

Autodesk product not using all the logical cores in the system processor. Intel core I7 processor has 12-16 cores.

Autodesk using only 1 core for all the process.  This is a long pending issue.

I know, industry fear to switch to Autodesk, due to its performance issues, especially on large data sets in Civil-3d.

I am from Rail industry. My team is still prefer Bentley open rail.

Development team shall consider to implement multi threading architecture.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report