Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the "Civil 3D as AutoCAD" Shortcut

Bring back the "Civil 3D as AutoCAD" Shortcut

Autodesk removed the ability of C3D installs to have a shortcut to run "plain" AutoCAD Map starting with C3D 2023. This was yet another unwanted "feature" by Autodesk. There is no functional or logical reason to remove the shortcut from C3D installs. C3D already comes with core AutoCAD and there is no reason to have to install AutoCAD separately. Autodesk's "solution" just adds gigs of wasted space to a workstation for absolutely no benefit to the user. 

9 Comments
FrankK_at_Creos
Contributor

I appreciate that idea very much!

jwylie2020
Advocate

I agree, I looked and there is an, "AutoCAD" profile in options. So you should be able to create a desktop icon for this profile.

It was nice when the icon was made out of the box.

pendean
Community Legend
Cadguru42
Advisor

@pendean Why did you link to a post that I already participated in and linked to this Idea? 

pendean
Community Legend

@Cadguru42 to close the loop you created: your post here is going to die here I suspect. C3D was deliberately separated from the "toolsets" and from all I understand this will continue to grow as a bigger gap as time goes by from AutoCAD as far as "autocad doing it all or you" ability.

Cadguru42
Advisor

@pendean Unless Autodesk completely rewrites Civil 3D from the ground up, it will always be based on core AutoCAD. The artificial "separation" of C3D from the toolsets is just that; artificial. Removing the shortcut to run C3D as ACAD is pointless and serves no functional purpose.

Autodesk has deliberately tried to keep the C3D and ACAD DWG format marketed as the same even though they're different, which goes against Autodesk's artificial separation in other marketing aspects. In short, Autodesk has made a mess of C3D and it's not getting better for the end-user. 

JamesMaeding
Advisor

@Cadguru42 

Hold on, you may be confused.

We moved to version 2022 recently so I experienced the issue I think you are talking about.

First, installing acad after c3d does not add gigs of duplicate files, as if acad is installed twice.

Adesk does that correct, it skips whatever is already installed, and acad is already installed if you have c3d.

What they did HORRIBLY wrong, was to make the licensing behave badly.

If you only have an acad seat, you cannot run acad if just c3d was installed.

You must run the acad install no matter what. That bit me badly, was unexpected, and revived my trust in adesk's ability to mess things up. yah.

So what you should be requesting is for installs of the higher product, like civil3d, to work with lower seat type assignments like autocad. The shortcut issues can be worked around, as its just the command line params you need to tweak.

Did I get that right? It made us double our installs recently, which sucked for remote users as IT must log in with admin and watch these darn installs run as they glitch sometimes.

Cadguru42
Advisor

@JamesMaeding Because the download for ACAD also has to be used it does still add gigs of duplicate files because of the install files.

JamesMaeding
Advisor

@Cadguru42 

Yep, that is lousy indeed. I have been doing "online" installs from account page, which maybe is intelligent enough to not download what does not need to be installed.

These 2022 installs have been a disaster for us as scripting them and running silent hung up way too much.

Then some other issues related to the licensing mechanisms and so on. The licensing for per-user is not as reliable as on site flexlm server.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report